What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Performance counter login fails

Votes:

I try to monitor CPU load on a Windows 7 machine which is not in a domain, so I need to use the local credentials. I use the Administrator account, so rights shouldn't be a problem.

Even though, it fails with the error: Could not log in using the specified credentials. Please make sure they are not only valid for the target system, but for the probe system aswell. (Performance Counter error 0xB0000004)

When i set it to use WMI only, the sensor works fine so the credentials are correct. So it seems only the performance counter is failing. How can I fix this?

cpu-load performance-counters prtg

Created on Mar 21, 2014 12:54:28 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately because of the difference in authentication methods between WMI and Perf Counters, there is no way to check perf counters on a machine that is not on the domain, WMI is the only option in this case.

Created on Mar 21, 2014 2:00:58 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.