What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Total newbie: Bandwidth Usage Monitoring

Votes:

Greetings,

I am entirely new to router management and to PTRG. Neither my ISP nor router (Linksys E4200) provides any tools for monitoring bandwidth usage. PRTG may be a case of using a tank to crush a fly, but I could not find anything else. My current mission is to

1. track the individual bandwidth usage on each device connected to my router (LAN and WLAN) 2. track the total bandwidth usage through the router per day, week, month, etc.

My current Root map looks like this:

Root

- Local pobe

- - 1st Group

- - - My_LAN

- - - - Device1

- - - - Device2

- - - - Device3

[etc]

Each device is identified via its IP as given in the router's DHCP Client Table. I use Run Auto-Discovery for each device.

1st question: Am I setting this up correctly? I was unsuccessful in using the Guru to map out the entire device map and so I am adding each device manually.

1st problem: Some devices are online, WiFi on, and working; yet Run Auto-Discovery cannot find them, and

> ping <device_ip-address>

gives nothing. I check the device to make sure it has the same ip listed as the DHCP table. Again, device is working great on wifi.

2nd question: Instead of using Auto-Discovery, is there just one sensor I need for bandwidth monitoring? If so, which one?

3rd question (related to 2nd): Can I put my main machine in the My_Lan subgroup for purposes of bandwidth monitoring alone, and place it in a separate subgroup for purposes of everything else that Auto-Discovery gives?

Thanks in advance for your help, and my apologies if my questions are totally clueless!

Best wishes

autodiscovery bandwidth-monitoring bandwidth-used bandwidth-utilization device device-tree newbie ping wifi

Created on Mar 28, 2014 6:17:06 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. There is no simple answer to this question. The approach depends completely on the setup and topology of your network as well as the software and hardware used. Please have a look at the following article How do I discern excessive bandwidth usage with PRTG?

best regards.

Created on Apr 1, 2014 10:24:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.