What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Basic API concepts

Votes:

I have just gotten started on writing some code to interface with PRTG's API. Do you have any documentation on the basic structure? in regards to sensors,devices,objects.

If i want to get all devices in a group and then get some data on a particular device, what calls do i need to make?

What is a sensor?

if i do /api/table.xml?content=devices.....is this bound by the username/passhash, so i only see devices in that users group?

I have tried the following and i cant add more then 1 field to the names attribute:

/api/getobjectproperty.htm?id=objectid&name=uptime&show=text

based on docs, i should be able to do name,uptime,blah,blah....

I know Im missing some obvious stuff....Thanks in advance.

api prtg

Created on Mar 31, 2014 8:07:30 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Here are the answers to your questions:

I have just gotten started on writing some code to interface with PRTG's API. Do you have any documentation on the basic structure? in regards to sensors,devices,objects.

You can see all of the documentation on the API under Setup->API in the web interface

If i want to get all devices in a group and then get some data on a particular device, what calls do i need to make?

You can find the calls to pull the information from sensors, devices and groups from the API.

What is a sensor?

A sensor is an object in PRTG that is used to measure something on a device and then show it in the interface. This is something like a memory sensor that will tell you how much memory is being used on a machine or how much bandwidth is going in or out of an interface.

if i do /api/table.xml?content=devices.....is this bound by the username/passhash, so i only see devices in that users group?

Yes, any API call will be bound by the user that is calling it so in this case that would be correct.

I have tried the following and i cant add more then 1 field to the names attribute:

/api/getobjectproperty.htm?id=objectid&name=uptime&show=text

If you add another &name with another field for the sensor you should be able to define more settings on the object at one time.

Created on Apr 2, 2014 1:12:55 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.