What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How would I monitor a daily process?

Votes:

We have an overnight batch process/cron job (not to be confused with DOS batch scripts), where we run a task once every 24 hours. At the end of the task it either writes a new daily file for success, or does not write a file (failure). For example, on a successful run it writes a file called 'my_process_YYYYMMDD.txt' (where YYYYMMDD is the current date). If it fails, no file is written.

How do you suggest we use PRTG to monitor that the task has run correctly?

Do you know of a different approach that would allow PRTG to monitor a batch/cron job (although it is on Windows)?

daily prtg windows

Created on Apr 1, 2014 6:48:36 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

You could set up a File Sensor to run once a day and make sure the file that should be generated is there and if so not notify and if not, to go into an error state and notify you of the problem.

Created on Apr 2, 2014 2:27:05 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks - after digging through the documentation a bit more I could use a Windows Task Scheduler monitor I think.

The File Sensor would also be useful. I wasn't aware we could make that run once a day.

Created on Apr 2, 2014 2:40:22 PM

Votes:

I think because the filename changes you will to write a custom script to check for the file.

However it would be nice to be able to use varables in the checks, such as current date.

Created on Apr 3, 2014 3:13:06 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.