What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cannot add WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Sensor for DMZ server

Votes:

Is it possible to use this sensor on an SQL server that is not in the same domain as the probe? Please note that I have many other WMI sensors that connect to this DMZ server just fine, so firewall and other authentication issues are unlikely.

I am also having trouble with the Microsoft SQL sensor on the same DMZ server. It does not work with Windows Authentication. It works fine with SQL Server authentication.

I suspect these two problems are related.

PRTG 14.1.8.1370

authentication dmz sql-2008-perfmon

Created on Apr 2, 2014 12:35:12 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Just thought I would expand on the description of the problem. The actual SQL version is 2008 R2. When I try to set up the WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2008 sensor, the resulting page after Add Sensor contains this.

SQL SERVER SETTINGS
No MS SQL Server Instance available
SQL Server Version 2008

Created on Apr 2, 2014 6:51:21 PM

Votes:

Would it be possible to send us a support request directly to [email protected]? That way we can send over some information that isn't possible to post here.

Created on Apr 7, 2014 12:25:09 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What was the issue with this? I have a SQL instance (MSSQLSERVER) that's version 2012 which I've allowed my restricted/limited user access to view but it says No MS SQL Server Instance available.

Running perfmon from the SQL server and remotely works to query SQL info, same with WMI. I can even log in using the limited user account to access the SQL server via SQL studio manager.

Created on Sep 11, 2014 7:51:58 PM

Votes:

Have you run these queries from the Remote Servers? The issue with the case above was that he was trying to query an SQL server on another domain which isn't something that we support.

Using the WMI Tester can you run other WMI queries against this server from the PRTG server and get correct results?

Created on Sep 12, 2014 12:38:49 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.