What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I disable mouseover popups in PRTG?

Votes:

I don’t want to see the mouseover popups in the PRTG web interface when I hover over an item in the device tree or over setting fields.

How can I remove these on-mouseover info boxes that appear when I hover items in the PRTG web GUI? I do not need these tooltips.

customize info-boxes javascript mouseover popup prtg tooltips web-gui web-interface

Created on Apr 4, 2014 1:42:39 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 17, 2015 2:11:30 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13.2.3 through 17.3.33

Hiding Mouseover Popups

Important note: The current customization approach is unsupported and deprecated as of versions 17.3.34/17.4.35. This customization no longer works. For more details, see How can I re-brand and customize the PRTG web interface using CSS and Javascript?

PRTG’s web interface provides tooltips, info boxes and hover popups for many items when you hover over them with your mouse. For example, hovering over a sensor in your device tree triggers a short information mouseover popup like this one (1):

Sensor Mouseover

Or, hovering over the left border showing the sensor status, it shows you a preview of the sensor's detailed information (2):

Sensor Mouseover Detailed

You also see help boxes when you hover over setting fields (3):

Settings Mouseover

Using custom JavaScript

If you do not want to get tooltips or other information with mouseovers, you can disable these popups with custom JavaScript:

1. Go to the \webroot\javascript subfolder of your PRTG installation.
  2. Open the file scripts_custom.js with an editor. If it does not exist already, you can create this file manually.
  3. Add the corresponding content of the code snippets below, depending on which kind of mouseover popup you don't want to be shown.
  4. Save the file and reload PRTG’s web interface. Now you will not see the corresponding mouseover popups anymore in the PRTG web GUI.

Avoid small sensor information popups (picture 1):

$('body').tooltip({
  "selector": "[title],[data-original-title]",
  "trigger": 'hover',
  "container": 'none'});

Avoid the popup showing a preview of detailed sensor information (picture 2):

(function(o){
Object.keys(o).forEach(function(e){o[e] = function(){}});
})($.fn.ptip);

Avoid the help boxes popping up on settings pages (picture 3):

$('body').popover({
  "selector": "[title],[data-original-title]",
  "trigger": 'hover',
  "container": 'none'
});

If you like your help boxes to be shown again, delete code snippet 3 from the JavaScript file.

Created on Apr 4, 2014 1:51:31 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 22, 2018 12:20:49 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there a way to disable the Mouse-Over actions when you hover over the buttons at the top

Home, Devices,Libraries,Sensors, Etc.....

Created on Sep 1, 2015 8:12:47 PM

Votes:

That would mean you'll remove the menu? You could do that by removing the list items in C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\controls\menu.htm, but it's not really useful.

Created on Sep 2, 2015 6:42:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Agreed, I had a co-worker that doesn't like the pop-ups getting in his way so I figured I would at least check to see if there was any way to change the behavior

Created on Sep 2, 2015 1:59:32 PM

Votes:

Not without removing the menu links :)

Created on Sep 2, 2015 7:17:26 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

how about a way to merely delay the popups, rather than removing them completely? the tooltips (figure 3) can be useful, so i don't want them gone, and obviously the menus along the top (home, devices, libraries, etc) are nearly essential.

Created on Oct 27, 2015 4:33:09 PM

Votes:

This would require quite some javascript code: http://jsfiddle.net/ankur20us/NPVVQ/8/ (not tested with PRTG). Might be possible with CSS3 as well.

Created on Oct 28, 2015 8:22:30 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 28, 2015 8:22:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.