What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port list

Votes:

Hello there,

I have defined a sensor with checks ports using list of ports ex: 443, 80, 25,110, etc.

What I need is to know which particular port(s) is not accessible. (When I receive an email from the prtg installation it only states that there ex: #2 ports are unavailable.) The mere number of unavailable ports is not very helpful. You need to spend time to figure out which port was not working.

port port-list ports

Created on Apr 7, 2014 8:52:33 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

If you want to know if a specific port is up or down in a notification, you would have to set up the ports individually in port sensors. That way you could name each one and could have that sent in the notification.

Created on Apr 9, 2014 11:53:00 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I do know that you can setup individual sensors. But image that there are a lot of servers and a lot of ports that are needed to be monitored. Number of defined sensors will drastically increase which will eventually render PRTG server useless and overloaded with sensors.

Created on Apr 9, 2014 11:58:09 AM

Votes:

I'll ask if it would be possible to change this sensor to show what the ports were in the last message which could then have those sent in a notification.

Created on Apr 9, 2014 4:33:57 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have brought this up with the developers and they do not want to change this sensor because the list of closed or open ports would be too long and that could potentially cause the sensor to error due to the last message being unable to fit in the last message field.

Created on Apr 16, 2014 12:12:35 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.