What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sFlow Sensor and L2TP traffic

Votes:

Hi All, we have a Dell managed switch sending sFlow data to PRTG for bandwidth monitoring. I'm trying to monitor bandwidth usage for site-to-site VPN(s) that are set up as L2TP/IPSec connections. The sensor is set up to gather all ingress and egress traffic on the VPN endpoint IP, but nothing is showing up. A white paper on sFlow.org states that sFlow "supports" all L2-L7 traffic flows, so I'm guessing my PRTG sensor needs to be configured in a special way (??).

Is monitoring L2TP traffic via sFlow possible in PRTG and how do I set it up correctly?

Thx in advance for help and/or pointers! Rgds - Marcus.

PS: using v13.1.1.1181

l2tp prtg13 sflow

Created on Apr 21, 2014 8:33:41 PM

15 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Could you try updating to the newest version to see if that resolves the issue? If the newest version (14.2.9) isn't available for the auto-update you can download the software from the Customer Service Center. In order to access the download link to the newest version please log into your online account and download it there. Please use the email address the license is registered to and your password to log in here: https://service.paessler.com/en/login/

Once you have downloaded the newest version there, you can install it directly over the version currently running.  The configuration and database will not be affected by installing the newer version over the old and the configuration is automatically backed up before this process.

best regards

Created on Apr 23, 2014 1:22:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten, thx for your reply. I updated to v14.2.9.1798 but after a couple of hours there's still no data showing up. I also deleted and recreated the sensor - still no luck.

Can you think of something else? I'm pretty sure I tried everything .. Thx again, Marcus.

Created on Apr 23, 2014 8:33:25 PM

Votes:

To test if proper and compatible SFlow packets are arriving at the PRTG host, please use our SFlow Tester

Which results do you get in the tester? Please forward a screenshot or the logs from the tester.

Created on Apr 24, 2014 10:22:24 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten,

nothing is being recorded in the sFlow Tester. I guess that means the switch is not sending sFlow version 5 data (??).

Thx - M.

Created on Apr 28, 2014 4:36:55 PM

Votes:

It probably sends sflow that is not compatible to what PRTG expects. If you could upload a screenshot showing the results on the Tester, we may be able to say where exactly it fails.

Created on Apr 29, 2014 7:36:10 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten, my apologies for the late reply - got sidetracked with other things.

I can certainly upload a screenshot, but as I said, nothing is displayed (just an empty screen). Can you confirm that PRTG is able to capture L2 traffic via sFlow?

Thx - M.

Created on Jun 5, 2014 6:07:11 PM

Votes:

That most likely will mean the Sflow-Packets your device sends, are not compatible to PRTG.

Created on Jun 6, 2014 8:13:05 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten - I would agree with that statement if I wasn't getting any data at all, but that's not the case - I am getting data, just not all of it.

I confirmed with Dell (which took a lot longer than it should...) that the switch does implement sFlow v5.

I reiterate my question: Can you confirm that PRTG is able to capture L2 traffic via sFlow?

Thx - M.

Created on Jul 2, 2014 6:15:39 PM

Votes:

Layer2 traffic is not monitored by PRTG.

Created on Jul 3, 2014 7:59:52 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 8, 2014 7:23:19 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten, I did a Wireshark capture and the switch is indeed sending the sFlow samples for the L2TP/IPSec traffic.

I compared one of these packets to another sFlow packet that is being recorded correctly in PRTG and can find no differences - other than the obvious (different protocols contained in the sampled packets).

Can I send you a screenshot of the L2TP flow sample and could you look over it why PRTG would not "understand" this sample?

Thx in advance - M.

Created on Jul 8, 2014 1:18:37 AM

Votes:

I apologize, I just saw that my last response missed the crucial not. Layer2 traffic is not monitored by PRTG.

Created on Jul 8, 2014 7:23:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I am having the same issue. We are trying to monitor and report on L2L IPSEC traffic, which is Layer 3 IP with protocol 50 (ESP). Packet captures display endpoint IP addresses, but nothing is displayed in PRTG channel. Is ESP tunnel mode considered Layer 2? It is encapsulated in Layer 3 IP.

Created on Oct 6, 2014 11:29:39 PM

Votes:

Sorry, the sensor does not see the encapsulated Layer3 information, because it already disregards the Layer2-Packets.

Created on Oct 7, 2014 8:45:51 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is too bad. I setup another Sflow collector to match Protocol 50 with the endpoint IP, and it records the data. I attempted using the channel definition of ((Protocol[50] and (SourceIP[x.x.x.x] or DestinationIP[x.x.x.x]), but it still did not record the same data as the other collector.

Created on Oct 7, 2014 10:43:19 PM

Votes:

Then most likely the incoming traffic does not match the definition here. You can enable the stream logging on the Sflow-Sensor for all traffic to get the full details on the incoming traffic and help with such filter definitions.

Created on Oct 8, 2014 7:56:47 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.