What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG to monitor link up/down events?

Votes:

Not sure if PRTG can do this? I have a PowerConnect 3548 that seems to be exhibiting a number of issues with various ports. Mostly these are expressed in the log as link up/down events. I'd like PRTG to monitor this, but am unsure if it's possible?

Right now, I have pointed PRTG at the switch and it has found all of the ports both as RMON and Ethernet. But while I know that many ports are not populated, the sensors all show "Up" status. (I realize this may simply mean the SENSOR is up, not that the port has a cable plugged into it with an active link.)

Not sure how to accomplish the original goal? Any help?

dell dell-switch link powerconnect snmp

Created on Apr 28, 2014 4:57:45 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Did you already try changing the "Connection Status Handling"-Setting on your SNMP Traffic Sensors: http://abload.de/img/connectionstatushandl2hqo8.png

best regards

Created on May 1, 2014 8:58:00 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.