What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Growth of a sensor

Votes:

Hello, I would like to create a sensor that would sum up the values of printed pages of a printer. I already have a sensor working, showing the current value of printed pages. It is a custom SNMP sensor with the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1.

This would be used afterwards to create a map showing the growth (in printed pages) of each site of my company, combining all the printers of the site. Then, I would combine all the growth sensors of all printers to show the overall growth of the company in terms of printed pages.

To do this, I tried to create a combined sensor in order to substract the lower value of the sensor (the lower number of printed pages, which means when the sensor was created) from the current value of the sensor.

But I can't find this function, nor I can show the overall growth.

Is it the right way to proceed ? How may I find a way to show the growth of printed pages by site or the global, overall growth ?

Thanks ,

Theo

combine printer snmp

Created on Apr 30, 2014 1:12:27 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. It depends if you've set the SNMP Custom Sensor to be of a delta-type or gauge type. You can only get the monthly (or weekly, etc.) growths then on reports with a delta-type sensor. In a report you will then see the pages printed in the period of the report.
Or you query the historic data via PRTGs API (please see "Setup"->"PRTG API"->"Historic Data") and perform the calculations externally.

best regards.

Created on May 6, 2014 9:07:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I already tried to create a delta-type sensor before making this KB-post.

Maybe I did in a wrong way : I actually created a SNMP custom sensor copied from the first sensor, with the attribute delta-type. Now this sensor is created but it shows me how many pages are printed per second... This is not what I want.

Can I change the ratio (from pages/sec to pages/month) for example, or is there another way to show the delta ? Is there also a way to show multiple delta-type sensor in only one sensor with multiples channels (one for each printer)

Regards, Theo

Created on May 7, 2014 8:04:59 AM

Votes:

With delta-type sensors you will see the values always per second in normal graphs. Please run a report though, maybe just for one day. You will also then see a Volume value of printed pages in the period covered by the report.

Created on May 7, 2014 8:36:07 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Indeed this is what I want ; I can see the volume of printed pages in the last week.

Is there a way to show multiple delta-type sensor in only one sensor with multiples channels (one for each printer) ?

Created on May 7, 2014 9:53:24 AM

Votes:

Yes, with the Sensor Factory.

Created on May 7, 2014 12:10:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.