What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG SOAP sensor, memory full but no warning

Votes:

Hello,

I have 2 vmware 5.5 ESXi with vCenter. I have vmware soap sensor for vcenter and getting all vm information

but, on some VM I have memory consumption 100% but its green, no warning or alert!

actually, it is using all memory, some use 90, or 80% memory, but sensor shows 100% and its green.

I should manualy set trigger on each sensor for memory? or there is some bug or other misconfiguration?

I am using latest PRTG, its a demo yet

memory sensor vcenter vmware

Created on Apr 30, 2014 1:40:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

you are right, we decided to not set a default warning-limit for memory-usages as this heavily depends on your infrastructure.
In your case (2 hosts with a vCenter-Server) a limit of 50 % may be useful as you may not be able to takeover all running virtual machines to the second host in case of a crash or a scheduled maintenance as there is too less memory available.
In a setup with 3 or 4 hosts this limit may be 66% or 75%.

Kind regards

Created on Apr 30, 2014 1:55:57 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I thought I have written this yesterday bot no show-up

thanks for your reply

So, I have to go through each VM and set memory treshhold. but the problem is, that it will then send notification,

therefore, I need to see progress, e.g. on 50% it would go warning, and on 80% it goes red.

How this can be configured that it would show warning but no notifications, and on red it would do defined alarm action

regards

Created on May 1, 2014 7:43:31 AM

Votes:

This can be done with Error- and Warning-Limits in the Channel Settings of your sensor. They will cause the sensor to change its state if a certain value is reached.

Created on May 6, 2014 9:09:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.