What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to get PRTG to upgrade to 14.2.9.1799 from 14.1.8.1371

Votes:

The system emailed notification that the update has been downloaded and is available.

The button to UPGRADE has been clicked on two successive days. The server that PRTG runs upon has been rebooted this morning.(the second day).

The upgrade still shows as UPGRADING. The process which shows progress for the upgrade has completed and no longer displays any information. The SHOW auto-Update log shows nothing at all.

prtg software update

Created on Apr 30, 2014 2:39:20 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please try and shut down both the core and probe services and restart them and see if the upgrade is still hung.

If it's still hung up, access the download link to the newest version by logging into your online account and downloading it there.

Please use the email address the license is registered to and your password to log in here:

https://service.paessler.com/en/login/

Once you have downloaded the newest version there, you can install it directly over the version currently running. The configuration and database will not be affected by installing the newer version over the old and the configuration is automatically backed up before this process. Before you run the installer, please shut down the PRTG services again.

Created on Apr 30, 2014 3:42:37 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes both the probe services and the core server were restarted after the operating system was rebooted this morning.

Right now I am attempting to run the AUTO-UPDATE/Upgrade from the server using Google Chrome browser. The white screen is showing UPDATING from 14.1.x.x to 14.2.x.xx and there are "." (dots) incrementing on the white portion of the screen.

Failing that I will attempt to manually download and install locally to the server.

Previous attempts(to 14.2.x.x) were done using Enterprise Console and Chrome browser to initiate upgrades.

Created on Apr 30, 2014 4:10:01 PM

Votes:

After three hours and the system still showed UPDATING and the dots still are moving across the screen. Typical software updates take only a few minutes.

It is unclear at what percent the upgrade has completed at this point.

As information; Our system has about 8,000 sensors so I wanted to be sure the system would have time. I remember this happening at the last upgrade about two months ago where the software would run indefinitely without completing the upgrade process.

I was able to login to DOWNLOADS section, stop the two PRTG services and run the INSTALL program manually on the server. The process took less than ten minutes to complete, including the reboot of the server.

Created on Apr 30, 2014 9:45:14 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.