What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor S.M.A.R.T status of SATA drives on Windows Server 2008 R2

Votes:

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me with some simple sensor for monitoring the SMART status of SATA drives attached directly to motherboard SATA ports, on a desktop machine running Server 2008 R2

The HDD Health sensor I have found in PRTG only works on IDE drives seemingly.

I would be happy to use SNMP, WMI or EXE/Custom Script sensor.

Feedback appreciated.

check hdd smart snmp status

Created on May 4, 2014 11:12:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Unfortunately, it seems the SMART-"values" of SATA drives are not registered in the WMI Classes like IDE-Drives. In the moment, we do not have a suggestion / inbuilt sensor to monitor this on desktop machines I'm afraid.
On servers it might be possible to use our SNMP Hardware sensors (IBM, Dell, Cisco, HP), which give a lot of hardware-level information.

best regards.

Created on May 6, 2014 1:06:33 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.