What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

incorrect CPU average on reports

Votes:

I have several Windows CPU Sensors getting data every 5 minutes. Data and averages look to be well represented in the normal Live, 2 Days, 30 days, and 365 days graphs and data. Yet, when I run a report, the average value is not correct. I have tried with and without Percentile values, and also have specified axis and spike limits to see if those affect the averages, which as you can see below, they don't.

Here is a look at one report: report-capture - the average value that is inflated is highlighted in yellow.

cpu-load reports wmi-sensors

Created on May 6, 2014 12:52:31 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

It appears to have to do with the Value Mode setting, which I had set these to "maximum" so that the graphs show the higher values better. So, while the graph and table shows the proper values no matter that Value Mode setting, the Average calculation is affected by this.

Created on May 6, 2014 5:53:18 PM

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. There is one detail missing here, what is the Primary-Channel setting of this sensor from the screenshot?

best regards.

Created on May 7, 2014 11:36:36 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Total (%) is the primary-channel, which we have hidden from the charts as you can see. This channel also has the same spike and filter values (100 max, 0 minimum) as the other channels for the CPU.

Setting the Total (%) channel set to "Average" value mode seems to fix the problem in the report - the value for the example above now shows "Average (Total): 6%".

Created on May 7, 2014 1:30:41 PM

Votes:

I apologize for the late response here, we will conduct testing for this. I'll get back to you as soon as we're done with the testing.

Created on May 12, 2014 3:13:59 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We could reproduce this issue in our testing. A ticket was opened to fix this, although, in the moment, I can't say when the fix will be implemented. Please bear with us.

Created on May 13, 2014 11:36:13 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.