What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification Escalation

Votes:

I'm looking to replace a basic in house monitoring system with PRTG. Currently we have Servers Alive spread across many machines, with e-mail notification picked up by a Pear script and sent to our 'on-call' staff. I'd like to know if I can duplicate the following in PRTG:

- Down event sends e-mail notification to primary contact after 30 seconds; if primary contact acknowledges the alarm escalation stops.

-if no acknowledgement escalation proceeds, secondary contact receives e-mail notification after 320 seconds or so.; if secondary contact acknowledges the alarm escalation stops.

-if no acknowledgement escalation proceeds, primary contact again receives e-mail notification after 640 seconds or so.; if primary contact acknowledges the alarm escalation stops.

-if no acknowledgement escalation proceeds, 3rd level contact receives e-mail notification after 960 seconds or so.; if 3rd level contact acknowledges the alarm escalation stops.

-if no acknowledgement escalation proceeds, CEO (we're a small company ;) )receives e-mail notification after 1200 seconds or so.

So is this possible at all? If not can someone suggest and alternate method for off hours even handling with a staggered notification? We deal with a lot of off hours support and are 'on call' in a team of 4. When I'm not on call I very much do not want to be woken up by events, so sending to a group is not an option.At the same time when I'm secondary I do not want the notification unless it's absolutely necessary, so no 2 person even groups will work either.

escalation events notifications

Created on May 8, 2014 7:16:20 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If I understand correctly, what you want to do is activate notifications that will be increasing as time goes.

You can do that by creating as many notifications as you need trigger state.

Once the sensor alarm is acknowledged, the flow of notifications will stop.

regards

Created on May 9, 2014 9:23:08 AM

Votes:

Awesome! Thanks Borja this is exactly what I was hoping to hear for escalation.

I suppose however the more complicated issue is a weekly rotation for the escalation order. Right now we just run a simple batch file to re-arrange the contacts for the notifications.

Basically is there a way in PRTG to mass change all notifications for all sensors?

Created on May 9, 2014 1:25:14 PM

Last change on May 9, 2014 3:03:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.