What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error with EXEXML Sensor

Votes:

Hi, I have a custom EXE/Script Advanced sensor that runs a perl script and returns XML. I've reduced it to an *extremely* basic script but I still am getting this error: Error reading response: Invalid XML (missing /prtg)

When I run this from the command prompt on the PRTG server that has the script it clearly is returning the </prtg> tag:

<prtg> <text>Counters retrieved successfully</text>

</prtg>

I've ticked the 'write results to logs' but it does not appear to have any effect, I've checked the various subfolders of "programdata" but it doesn't seem to be writing anything there.

This is server 2008 x64 in a VM, PRTG 14.2.9.1799. It has the MSFT .NET 4.51 framework installed.

And to further confound me, I have another similar script on this server that works fine! (perl returning XML and terminating with </prtg>).

Any pointers? I must be missing something obvious here! Thanks, Tim

exe-script-advanced-sensor perl xml

Created on May 14, 2014 4:53:36 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. What looks strange is, that the script does not seem to return any numerical value, or channel value. Or is this just an excerpt here?

best regards.

Created on May 15, 2014 11:44:00 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Yes, originally it was returning <result></result> tags as well, but I removed everything to the absolute bare bones trying to figure out where the problem was, and still it does not work. Thanks.

Created on May 15, 2014 3:30:47 PM

Votes:

Can you please show the full XML?

Created on May 19, 2014 9:26:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

To be clear: That *IS* the full XML. There is nothing else. That's why I am posting here: all the script returns at this point is the opening/closing <prtg> tags, and a single <text> tag, and *still* I get this error. I don't get it....

Tim

Created on May 20, 2014 5:45:47 AM

Votes:

Then please have it include a proper result (sensor value).

Created on May 20, 2014 7:44:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.