What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I disable SSL for Mini Probes?

Votes:

The mini probe that is running on my Android device cannot connect to the PRTG core server. The mini probe reports that it requires SSL. However, I have deactivated SSL encryption on my PRTG core server because my network scenario uses other security components.

How can I connect my mini probe to the PRTG core server without SSL connections?

android connection connectivity https mini-probe prtg reghack registry ssl

Created on May 16, 2014 1:17:06 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 25, 2022 8:25:43 AM by  Frank Hadasch [Paessler Support] (0) 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Mini probe connections without SSL

Mini probes require HTTPS connectivity to send monitoring data to your PRTG core server. Mini probes cannot connect when SSL is disabled for PRTG. This is essential for connection security, because PRTG would transfer passwords that are probably unencrypted.

Note: It is important that all connections are encrypted between the PRTG core server and probe, even on internal routes.

However, there might be scenarios where full security is ensured in other ways (for example, via VPN). For these cases and to be able to connect with mini probes, there is a registry key option to define SSL as not required.

Note: Always back up your system before you make changes to the Windows registry.

Steps to take

1. Open the registry editor and navigate to the following key:
    • On a 64-bit Windows system, navigate to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Probes\
    • On a 32-bit Windows system, navigate to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Probes\
  2. Create a new DWORD: In the current path, right-click, select New | DWORD Value, and name the new value MiniProbeSSL.
  3. Set the value of MiniProbeSSL to 0 (this means no SSL required): Right-click MiniProbeSSL and select Modify…. In the value field, enter 0. Confirm with Ok.
    Note: The value 1 sets SSL to be required for mini probes.
  4. Restart your PRTG core server to activate the settings.

Your mini probe is now able to communicate with your PRTG core server without SSL.

Created on May 16, 2014 1:17:27 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 2, 2022 10:23:09 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.