What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature Request - Pause Groups

Votes:

During maintenance windows for our sites we have multiple sensors we'd like to pause. Unfortunately because of how the sensors have to be organized, they're actually in multiple groups.

For example our http sensors are in one group, our server monitoring is in another group. Those groups are further sub-divided into production, test, staging, development etc.

It would be nice if we could specify groups of sensors which could be paused all at once and unpaused all at once. So that we don't have to locate and pause multiple individual sensors or multiple groups of sensors.

So we might have pre-defined a pause group named "staging.paessler.com" which when paused pauses any sensors associated with the staging paessler website regardless of how those sensors are hierarchically organized. Likewise we might have another pause group for www.paessler.com which when paused pauses all the sensors associated with the production site (even though they are in different groupings in PRTG).

As-is during maintenance windows we usually don't even bother pausing sensors because its too much effort to find all the different sensors and pause them all individually and then remember to unpause them all individually.

feature-request groups pausing

Created on May 22, 2014 12:57:22 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Do these sensors use the same Notifications? Or could it be set up, that they use the same notification? Because then you could simply pause the related notification during the maintenance. This should then be just a few clicks.
The other alternative we are looking into, will be pausing Libraries (respectively all items in a Library). One could then have such functional groups of sensors in one Library, and then pause the Library. This is currently on the wish list.

best regards.

Created on May 23, 2014 9:04:17 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We only have two notifications setup in our entire PRTG system. One is called critical.alert which is when something is down. The other is called warning.alert when something has hit a particular threshold. Almost all sensors have both types of notifications setup.

Thus pausing either the warning.alert or critical.alert notification would impact essentially all of our sensors.

I suppose we could setup unique notifications for each "grouping" but we have numerous groupings and a lot of sensors, adjusting them all would be quite tedious, so i'm not sure that's ideal. The other potential issue is that by not pausing the sensors they'd show up as yellow or red in the web/windows interface.

There are enough sensors in each grouping (50-100) that if a system not undergoing maintenance were to go down at the same time, it might be overlooked. Thus we'd like systems undergoing maintenance not to show as red or yellow in the GUI as well.

Created on May 23, 2014 1:23:59 PM

Votes:

With this structure, being able to pause Libraries might help then. I can only ask to please then bear with us for this.

Created on May 23, 2014 1:39:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As far as I can see there is still no possibility to pause a library or a library node. Is this planned in the near future?

Created on Jul 24, 2015 1:35:10 PM

Votes:

Sorry, as of now, there are no plans to implement a pausing of Libraries (or Library Nodes) in the near future. There simply haven't been "enough" requests from users for such a feature.

Created on Jul 27, 2015 7:23:05 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Using the PRObject tool you can pause and resume any object (sensor, device, group, probe) from the command line.

Using a batch file, containing multiple instances of this tool, you might be able to pause and resume your sensors with a single mouse click.

Created on Jul 27, 2015 11:50:57 AM

Votes:

I would also very appreciate the feature to pause libraries.

We are currently evaluating PRTG for our company and i had the same problem.

To pause sensors from different groups at once I use the tag feature. Just add the same tag to all devices or sensors from the same "service". You can then go to Sensors -> By Tag, look for your service and you get a list with all the sensors from this service. You can then select all at once and pause them.

Created on Aug 31, 2015 8:13:53 AM

Last change on Aug 31, 2015 8:46:59 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.