What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor not working after PRTG Upgrade

Votes:

I have a File Content Sensor that is receiving No Data after updating PRTG from 13 to 14

file-content prtg upgrade

Created on May 22, 2014 3:43:14 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

A size limit is not implemented, but if the file is too large, it could be that reading it takes too much time, if it's not done locally. Please either try having the file smaller. Or (if possible), install a Remote Probe on the target machine, and scan the file locally.

Created on May 26, 2014 7:22:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

14 Replies

Votes:

I tried recreating the sensor and get the same results. The sensor was functioning properly before the update. The share is working and the user can access the file.

Created on May 22, 2014 8:06:03 PM

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Does the normal File Sensor see the target file? Is this file on a Network share? Or a Windows based machine?
Did you try restarting the target machine, and also the PRTG Host machine?

best regards.

Created on May 23, 2014 9:32:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The normal File Sensor does see the target file. It is a windows share. I have restarted PRTG but not the target machine.

Thanks

Created on May 23, 2014 1:46:40 PM

Votes:

May I ask, how large is the file?

Created on May 23, 2014 1:58:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

58mb

Created on May 23, 2014 2:33:18 PM

Votes:

Can you please try a smaller size for a test?

Created on May 23, 2014 3:04:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

23mb file worked. Is there a file size limit.

Created on May 23, 2014 3:52:48 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

A size limit is not implemented, but if the file is too large, it could be that reading it takes too much time, if it's not done locally. Please either try having the file smaller. Or (if possible), install a Remote Probe on the target machine, and scan the file locally.

Created on May 26, 2014 7:22:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I reset the log file thus reducing its size and it appears to be working. Thanks

Created on May 27, 2014 4:39:02 PM

Votes:

So when the log file grows the sensor goes into a No Data state. This didn't happen under PRTG 13, only since the PRTG 14 upgrade.

Created on May 28, 2014 7:38:33 PM

Votes:

Also I can't put a remote probe on the machine but I am scanning the file on a gigabit LAN with <1ms latency.

Created on Jun 4, 2014 1:48:39 PM

Votes:

It may have been a simple coincidence that the file grew too large, in the moment the update to PRTG 14 was done.
I'm sorry, in the moment there is no other way, than keeping the file small.

Created on Jun 4, 2014 4:33:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I guess that's possible but unlikely since it logs the same activities it always has. Maybe it will be fixed in a later release.

Created on Jun 4, 2014 4:48:26 PM

Votes:

We plan to improve the File Content Sensor, but I cannot put an ETA on this.

Created on Jun 5, 2014 8:11:23 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.