What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI sensors are "freezing" for lack of a better word

Votes:

Hello Paessler support community.

I have a problem with some of my WMI sensors. We are running PRTG 13.4.7.3674 with a remote probe. I regularly experience that some of my WMI based sensors seems to "freeze" or get "stuck" (but not all of them). An example is a "WMI Vital System Data (V2) sensor" measuring "Memory: Total Physical". When the sensors get "stuck" i experience that they stay in their previous state (most of the time that means "up"), i get no alerts i'm aware of, but data simply stops coming in.

If i look at the device overview i can see that the the sensor is "green"/up, however no data is displayed. Here is a screenshot showing the difference:

Frozen sensor on the bottom

A normal working sensor is shown at the top, a frozen one is shown at the bottom with no data (i.e. numbers etc) in it, despite the fact that a primary channel is set.

If i go to the sensor and select "Live Data" i can see that no entries have been added tot he table since the sensor stalled and got "stuck". The one i'm looking at right now has no data for the last one and a half days, yet the sensor is still "green".

If i try to pause the sensor, the system reacts fine and the sensor changes to paused and goes to a blue color. Then i wait a minute and i try to resume it, the system logs acknowledge that i un-pause it, however the sensor is now stuck in pause mode. The right click menus and icons at the top right (check now, etc) all indicate that the sensor is not paused (i.e. i have the option to check now, and the right click menu gives me the option to "pause" but not to resume). However the sensor stays paused and "blue".

Paused sensor that is supposed to be resumed If i look at the sensor details i can see that the "Last Scan" is updating as if the sensor is not paused and is scanning every 5 minutes as it should, however the sensor stays "blue" and no new data is added to the data tables.

I have looked in the system logs on the remote probe, and i can find no entries indicating any problems at all, and the rest of the my sensors seem to work fine. I've also tried to go to the settings for the stuck sensor and told it to "write the result of the sensor to a file". However even though the sensor claims that "Last Scan" happens every 5 minutes, i get no files in the "Logs (Sensors)" folder on the remote probe.

This issue has happened multiple times, and the behavior seems consistent from time to time, though i'm unsure what provokes it in the first place. I can usually resolve this issue (until it happens again) by completely restarting the remote probe service, however this is not a workable solution in general since: 1. I do not know of an automated way to detect that this is happening. At the moment i'm relying on manual inspection to "spot" these stuck sensors. 2. Restarting the remote probe frequently is not a stable solution as it causes many sensors to give off odd states and cause noise in the general statistics we can pull from PRTG.

Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing it and how i can resolve this issue? If you need further information, please let me know!

Best Regards Peter

prtg sensor-stuck wmi

Created on May 26, 2014 11:06:51 AM

Last change on May 27, 2014 9:10:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Peter

In rare cases, all WMI sensors of a device turn to "unknown" state (grey.) Is that the case in your installation, that all sensors of a device are grey resp. not able to resume from the blue state?

The next time your WMI sensors are in unknown state, please go to the webinterface, menu Setup / System Administration / Administrative Tools. Then click the button to write the Probe status files.

Go to the PRTG data directory (by default "\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor" and create a Zip file of the subfolder "Logs (System)".

Then contact our Paessler support via email, [email protected]. If the Zip file is smaller than 10 MB, please attach it to the email, otherwise please tell us that the log file archive is larger than 10 MB.

Created on May 27, 2014 5:01:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne

I never see the sensors turn grey, they simply stay in their "previous" state. I.e. green if they were up when the sensor froze. I can then pause them at which point they turn paused (and blue). However when i try to unpause them, they simply stay "blue" even though the right click context menus for the sensors have options that would seem to indicate that they are not paused. I have left the sensors in the broken state that they were yesterday, i'll try to do the "Write Probe Status" files as requested and contact the support team via email.

Best Regards Peter

Created on May 28, 2014 7:31:13 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I have the same Problem. Was there ever an official solution to this?

Best Regards Jasmin

Created on Jun 2, 2017 6:07:12 AM

Votes:

Hello Jasmin,

Which version of PRTG do you use?

Created on Jun 2, 2017 7:19:04 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.