What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change WMI "free memory %" "used memory"

Votes:

Hi everyone!

When I do an auto discover on my windows servers, the WMI memory shows as "% of Free Memory" which drives my co workers crazy since they are so used to seeing memory shown as "% of Used Memory".

Is there a way I can change this sensor to reflect "% of Used Memory"?

live-graph windows-2008-r2-sp1 wmimemorysensor

Created on May 29, 2014 8:15:34 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

BINGO, i figured it out!

Ok for anyone finding this page. Follow these instructions:

1) Be sure that you've already added a WMI Memory sensor for the server you want to pull % Used Memory info from. You're going to need that sensor ID number in the next part. 3) Under that same server, click Add Sensor 4) Search for "factory" and click "Add this" under "Factory Sensor" 5) In the channel definition field paste this:

#1:Percent Used Memory
100 - channel(SENSOR_ID_OF_SOURCE_WMI_MEMORY_SENSOR_FROM_STEP_1_, 0)

So lets say your WMI Memory sensor (the annoying one that only shows % available and not % used) is 8475. It should look like this:

100 - channel(8475, 0)

All done! Thanks for the help Torsten!

Created on Jun 4, 2014 2:31:21 PM

Last change on Jun 4, 2014 2:36:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid this cannot be changed within the sensor. You could use a Sensor Factory Sensor to perform the conversion though.

best regards.

Created on Jun 2, 2014 9:13:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ummmm. haha. No wonder every forum post i found requesting this never had an answer. All there was in the post was a link to Sensor Factory Sensor....

Would it be to much to ask that you whip up a quick step by step so at least anyone searching for the same question finds this answer?

Created on Jun 3, 2014 7:58:25 PM

Votes:

It's quite easy actually, just get the ID of the source WMI Memory Sensor, then create a Factory Sensor with a Channel Definition like:

100 - channel(SENSOR_ID_OF_SOURCE_WMI_MEMORY_SENSOR, 0)

Please check if the Channel ID is also 0 then in your case.

Created on Jun 4, 2014 8:01:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

BINGO, i figured it out!

Ok for anyone finding this page. Follow these instructions:

1) Be sure that you've already added a WMI Memory sensor for the server you want to pull % Used Memory info from. You're going to need that sensor ID number in the next part. 3) Under that same server, click Add Sensor 4) Search for "factory" and click "Add this" under "Factory Sensor" 5) In the channel definition field paste this:

100 - channel(SENSOR_ID_OF_SOURCE_WMI_MEMORY_SENSOR_FROM_STEP_1_, 0)

So lets say your WMI Memory sensor (the annoying one that only shows % available and not % used) is 8475. It should look like this:

100 - channel(8475, 0)

All done! Thanks for the help Torsten!

Created on Jun 4, 2014 2:31:21 PM

Last change on Jun 4, 2014 2:36:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.