Various sensors of PRTG require the .NET framework. Which version of .NET has to be installed on my probe system(s) to be able to run these .NET sensors? Which sensor types need the .NET framework to be installed?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 19.1.48 or later
PRTG Requires .NET 4.7.2 or later
Several sensor types of PRTG Network Monitor require the Microsoft .NET Framework to be installed on each computer that runs a PRTG probe. It is not possible to create such a sensor on a probe if the .NET framework is missing on the computer.
PRTG Network Monitor 19.1.48 or later requires .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later to be installed on a system running a PRTG probe. This is the PRTG server with the local probe and all computers with a remote probe. If this .NET version is not installed, you will receive a ToDo ticket for each affected probe after each probe update. The ticket asks you to install .NET 4.7.2 or later and shows information about the currently installed version.
After installing PRTG version 19.1.48 or later, you will not be able to add certain sensor types on the respective probe if no .NET 4.7.2 is installed on the system. Please see a list of affected, EXE-based sensor types below.
PRTG Network Monitor 17.3.34 through 18.4.47 requires .NET Framework 4.5 or later to be installed on a system running a PRTG probe. Certain sensor types do not work on the respective probe if no .NET 4.5, .NET 4.6, or .NET 4.7 is installed on the system. Also, you will not be able to add these sensors to such probes.
Note: Old PRTG versions 14.4.12 through 17.3.33 require .NET 4.0 or later, previous PRTG versions at least .NET 2.0.
Installing the .NET Framework
You can check which version of the Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on your probe system(s) directly in the PRTG web interface: Choose Setup | PRTG Status from the main menu and navigate to section Probes. PRTG shows the currently installed .NET version(s) for each probe and indicates if the installation or update of .NET is necessary.
To download and manually install the required .NET framework version, see the Microsoft Installation Guide.
The following .NET versions are pre-installed on different Windows versions. For details, please see the Microsoft article .NET Framework system requirements.
- .NET 4.7.2 is pre-installed on Windows 10 April 2018 Update and later. You might have to manually install it on previous Windows versions and on Windows Server.
- .NET 4.7 is pre-installed on Windows 10 Creators Update.
- .NET 4.6 is included in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
- .NET Framework 4.5 is included in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 support the required .NET version, but you might have to manually install it.
- See also the Microsoft article What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?
List of Sensor Types Which Need Microsoft .NET
As of version 19.1.48, the following sensor types need .NET 4.7.2 to be installed on the probe system. Otherwise, you will not be able to create the sensors after an update to PRTG 19.1.48 or later.
In PRTG version 17.3.34 through 18.4.47 the sensor types require .NET 4.5 or later.
- Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor
- ADO SQL v2 Sensor
- Amazon CloudWatch sensors
- Citrix XenServer Host Sensor
- Citrix XenServer Virtual Machine Sensor
- DICOM Bandwidth Sensor
- DICOM C-ECHO Sensor
- DICOM Query Retrieve Sensor
- Exchange Backup (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Database DAG (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Database (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Mailbox (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Mail Queue (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Public Folder (PowerShell) Sensor
- FTP Server File Count Sensor
- Google Analytics Sensor
- HL7 Sensor
- HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor
- Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volume Disk Free Sensor
- IPMI System Health Sensor
- IP on DNS Blacklist Sensor
- Microsoft SQL v2 Sensor
- MySQL v2 Sensor
- NetApp Aggregate Sensor
- NetApp I/O Sensor
- NetApp LIF Sensor
- NetApp LUN Sensor
- NetApp NIC Sensor
- NetApp Physical Disk Sensor
- NetApp SnapMirror Sensor
- NetApp System Health Sensor
- NetApp Volume Sensor
- Oracle SQL v2 Sensor
- Oracle Tablespace Sensor
- Ping Jitter Sensor
- PostgreSQL Sensor
- RADIUS v2
- SIP Options Ping Sensor
- Traceroute Hop Count Sensor
- VMware Datastore (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Performance (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor
- Windows MSMQ Queue Length Sensor
- Windows Print Queue Sensor
- Windows Updates Status (PowerShell) Sensor
- WSUS Statistics Sensor
Deprecated Sensors Requiring .NET
The following sensor types are deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23 (please see this article for details). We provide this list of deprecated sensors which have required .NET for your information only.
- AVM FRITZ!Box WAN Interface v2 Sensor
- HTTP SSL Certificate Expiry Sensor
- Pingdom Sensor
- POP3 Email Count Sensor
- SCVMM Host Sensor
- SCVMM Virtual Machine Sensor
- Windows Last Update Sensor
- Windows Logged In Users Sensor
- Windows Scheduled Task Sensor
- WMI Volume Fragmentation Sensor
- WMI Windows Version Sensor