Various sensors of PRTG require the .NET framework. Which version of .NET has to be installed on my probe system(s) to be able to run these .NET sensors? Which sensor types need the .NET framework to be installed?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 14.x.13 or later
PRTG Requires .NET 4 (Client Profile) or .NET 4.5 or later
Several sensor types of PRTG Network Monitor require the Microsoft .NET Framework to be installed on each computer which runs a PRTG probe. It is not possible to create such a sensor on a probe if the .NET framework is missing on the according computer.
PRTG Network Monitor 14.x.13 or later requires .NET Framework 4 (Client Profile) or .NET Framework 4.5 or later to be installed on a system running a PRTG probe. This holds for both local probes and remote probes. If none of these versions is installed, you will receive a ToDo ticket as of PRTG 14.x.11 after each probe update for each affected probe. This ticket requests the installation of .NET 4 or 4.5 (.NET 4.6 is also possible) and shows information about the currently installed version.
As of PRTG version 14.x.13, certain sensor types will stop working on the respective probe if no .NET 4, .NET 4.5, or .NET 4.6 is installed on the system. Please see a list of affected sensor types below.
Installing the .NET Framework
The .NET Framework 4.5 is distributed with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, .NET 4.6 is included in Windows 10. Both are supported on Windows 7 or later. .NET 4 Client Profile (not included in Windows by default) runs also on older Windows operating systems.
You can check which version of the Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on your probe system(s) directly in PRTG's web interface (as of PRTG 14.x.11): Choose Setup | PRTG Status from the main menu and navigate to section Probes. There, PRTG lists for each probe the currently installed .NET version(s) and indicates if the installation of .NET 4 is necessary.
To download and install your preferred .NET framework version manually, see the following links:
- Installing the .NET Framework 4 (Client Profile is sufficient)
- Installing the .NET Framework (4.5, 4.6)
List of Sensor Types Which Need Microsoft .NET
The following sensor types need .NET 4 (Client Profile) or .NET 4.5 or .NET 4.6 to be installed on the probe system. Otherwise, they cannot be created and existing sensors will stop working.
- Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor
- Amazon CloudWatch sensors (all CloudWatch sensors!)
- Citrix XenServer Host Sensor
- Citrix XenServer Virtual Machine Sensor
- Exchange Backup (Powershell) Sensor
- Exchange Database DAG (Powershell) Sensor
- Exchange Database (Powershell) Sensor
- Exchange Mailbox (Powershell) Sensor
- Exchange Mail Queue (Powershell) Sensor
- Exchange Public Folder (Powershell) Sensor
- FTP Server File Count Sensor
- Google Analytics Sensor
- HTTP SSL Certificate Expiry Sensor
- HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor
- Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volume Disk Free Sensor
- IPMI System Health Sensor
- IP on DNS Blacklist Sensor
- Microsoft SQL v2 Sensor
- MySQL v2 Sensor
- Oracle SQL v2 Sensor
- Oracle Tablespace Sensor
- Ping Jitter Sensor
- PostgreSQL Sensor
- Radius v2 (needs .NET 4.5 or 4.6)
- SIP Options Ping Sensor
- Traceroute Hop Count Sensor
- VMware Datastore (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Performance (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor
- Windows MSMQ Queue Length Sensor
- Windows Print Queue Sensor
- Windows Updates Status (Powershell) Sensor
- WSUS Statistics Sensor
Deprecated Sensors Requiring .NET 4 or later
The following sensor types are deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23 (please see this article for details). We provide this list of deprecated sensors which have required .NET for your information only.
- AVM FRITZ!Box WAN Interface v2 Sensor
- Pingdom Sensor
- POP3 Email Count Sensor
- SCVMM Host Sensor
- SCVMM Virtual Machine Sensor
- Windows Last Update Sensor
- Windows Logged In Users Sensor
- Windows Scheduled Task Sensor
- WMI Volume Fragmentation Sensor
- WMI Windows Version Sensor