Various sensors of PRTG require the .NET framework. Which version of .NET must be installed on my probe systems so that PRTG can run these .NET sensors? Which sensor types need the .NET framework to be installed?
This article applies as of PRTG 22
PRTG requires at least .NET 4.7.2
Several sensors of PRTG require that the Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on each probe system. It is not possible to create such a sensor on a probe if the .NET Framework is missing on the probe system.
As of PRTG 19.1.48 requires that as least .NET Framework 4.7.2 is installed on a probe system. This is the PRTG core server with the local probe and all systems with a remote probe. If this .NET version is not installed, you receive a ToDo ticket for each affected probe after each probe update. The ticket asks you to install at least .NET 4.7.2 and shows information about the currently installed version.
After you install as of PRTG 19.1.48, you cannot add certain sensors on the respective probe unless .NET 4.7.2 is installed on the system. Running sensors show the Down status with error code PE104 after you install PRTG 19.1.49. See a list of affected EXE-based sensors below.
PRTG 17.3.34 through 18.4.47 require that at least .NET Framework 4.5 is installed on a probe system. Certain sensors do not work on the respective probe unless .NET 4.5, .NET 4.6, or .NET 4.7 is installed on the probe system. You also cannot add these sensors to such probes.
Note: PRTG 14.4.12 through 17.3.33 require at least .NET 4.0; previous versions, at least .NET 2.0.
Installing the .NET Framework
You can directly check which Microsoft .NET Framework version is installed on your probe systems in the PRTG web interface. Select Setup | PRTG Status and navigate to Probes. PRTG shows the currently installed .NET versions for each probe and indicates if the installation or an update of .NET is necessary.
To download and manually install the required .NET Framework version, see the Microsoft Installation Guide.
The following .NET versions are preinstalled on different Windows versions. For details, see this article: .NET Framework system requirements.
- .NET 4.7.2 is preinstalled as of the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. You might have to manually install it on previous Windows versions and on Windows Server.
- .NET 4.7 is preinstalled on Windows 10 Creators Update.
- .NET 4.6 is included in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
- .NET Framework 4.5 is included in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 support the required .NET version, but you might have to manually install it.
- See also this article: What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?.
List of sensors that need Microsoft .NET
As of PRTG 19.1.48, the following sensors need .NET 4.7.2 to be installed on the probe system. Otherwise, you cannot create the sensors after an update to PRTG 19.1.48 or later.
In PRTG 17.3.34 through 18.4.47, the sensors require at least .NET 4.5.
- Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor
- ADO SQL v2 Sensor
- Amazon CloudWatch sensors
- Citrix XenServer Host Sensor
- Citrix XenServer Virtual Machine Sensor
- DICOM Bandwidth Sensor
- DICOM C-ECHO Sensor
- DICOM Query Retrieve Sensor
- Exchange Backup (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Database DAG (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Database (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Mailbox (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Mail Queue (PowerShell) Sensor
- Exchange Public Folder (PowerShell) Sensor
- FTP Server File Count Sensor
- Google Analytics Sensor
- HL7 Sensor
- HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor
- Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volume Disk Free Sensor
- IPMI System Health Sensor
- IP on DNS Blacklist Sensor
- Microsoft SQL v2 Sensor
- MySQL v2 Sensor
- NetApp Aggregate Sensor
- NetApp I/O Sensor
- NetApp LIF Sensor
- NetApp LUN Sensor
- NetApp NIC Sensor
- NetApp Physical Disk Sensor
- NetApp SnapMirror Sensor
- NetApp System Health Sensor
- NetApp Volume Sensor
- Oracle SQL v2 Sensor
- Oracle Tablespace Sensor
- Ping Jitter Sensor
- PostgreSQL Sensor
- RADIUS v2
- SIP Options Ping Sensor
- Traceroute Hop Count Sensor
- VMware Datastore (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Host Performance (SOAP) Sensor
- VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) Sensor
- Windows MSMQ Queue Length Sensor
- Windows Print Queue Sensor
- Windows Updates Status (PowerShell) Sensor
- WSUS Statistics Sensor
Deprecated sensors that need .NET
The following sensors are deprecated as of PRTG 16.1.23 (see Which sensor types will you remove from PRTG and what are the alternatives? for details). We provide this list for your information only.
- AVM FRITZ!Box WAN Interface v2 Sensor
- HTTP SSL Certificate Expiry Sensor
- Pingdom Sensor
- POP3 Email Count Sensor
- SCVMM Host Sensor
- SCVMM Virtual Machine Sensor
- Windows Last Update Sensor
- Windows Logged In Users Sensor
- Windows Scheduled Task Sensor
- WMI Volume Fragmentation Sensor
- WMI Windows Version Sensor