What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Autodiscover on a sensor

Votes:

Our active directory domain controllers occasionally form new neighbor relationships. Is there a way to make a sensor "Auto-discover" the available items under it and automatically add them? This would be much nicer than manually redoing it all the time.

Thanks Tom

active-directory-replication autodiscovery sensor

Created on Jun 8, 2014 3:01:54 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

What you could do here tom would be to set up a another DC in PRTG with the same IP as one of your existing, create the AD Replication Error sensor on it and then make it a device template. Once you have the template, you can set up the servers to use that for their Auto-Discovery and when the sensors are updated with Auto-Discovery, it should include any new servers.

Created on Jun 11, 2014 10:56:25 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

when i do this it pulls the templates replication neighbors, not the one of the device I'm autodiscovering. Each DC has different replication neighbors.

Created on Jun 11, 2014 1:07:54 PM

Votes:

Sorry that we didn't catch this in testing. I'll work with the developer and see what we can do about changing this so it works properly.

Created on Jun 12, 2014 9:20:28 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This bug is now fixed in our newest canary version that should be out in Stable in a few months. If you want to test it, you can install a freeware or trial version somewhere and test out the new sensor by updating to the canary version.

Created on Oct 31, 2014 9:50:26 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.