What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I upgrade 9.x to 14.x ?

Votes:

My currently PRTG is 9.x version and I have 14.x software & license . How do I upgrade my currently PRTG to 14.x step by step ? Should I backup any folder before upgrade process ?

Regards, Ryan

9-to-14 prtg9 upgrade

Created on Jun 9, 2014 9:28:05 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

BTW , could I just insatll PRTG 14 on the currently PRTG 9 server directly and keep the data at the same time ?

Regards, Ryan

Created on Jun 10, 2014 3:30:04 AM

Votes:

Dear Ryan

You can directly update from PRTG 9 to the current PRTG 14. A handful of sensors are discontinued, if you use those, you need to create their modern counterpart anew. Please also have a look at the manual https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/update_from_previous_versions.htm chapter "Update From PRTG Network Monitor 9".

Please be advised that we no longer support Windows XP.

Created on Jun 10, 2014 1:13:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne Seifert

Thank you for your prompt reply . I will directly update the PRTG from 9 to 14 . Should I backup any important file before upgrade ? We have more than 10000 instances , any HW requirement should we prepare ? ex: RAM , HDD size , etc .

Regards, Ryan

Created on Jun 10, 2014 4:30:20 PM

Votes:

Dear Ryan

If you like to backup your configuration, please have a look at this article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/523

For 10000+ sensors please use dedicated hardware (no VM) with an i5-class quadcore and 8 GB RAM. Using a 64-bit Windows is recommended. If you migrate from 32 bit to 64 bit (which is possible) please manually correlate the PRTG Server settings and PRTG Probe settings as described in this article https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/413

Created on Jun 11, 2014 9:34:36 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne Seifert ,

I have installed the new version 14.x PRTG on my test server . It seems the PRTG installer will find the original installation path itself then install the new version file in the original path , right ? Because I didn't do any path change action and just click the installer file , it executed the whole install processes itself . May I know I need to choose the installation path manually during the upgrade execution or not ? Thank you !

Regards, Ryan

Created on Jul 2, 2014 6:52:32 AM

Votes:

Dear Ryan

When you run the installer to update a PRTG installation, it will automatically chose the existing installation folder and data folder.

Created on Jul 2, 2014 1:56:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne Seifert

Thank you so much !

Regards,

Ryan

Created on Jul 2, 2014 11:26:00 PM

Votes:

Dear Arne Seifert ,

I am sorry to bother you again . We have a remote probe installed on Windows 2008 R2 . After I upgrading PRTG Core server from 9 to 14 , would the remote probe updates itself on Windows 2008 R2 ? How long would the update time take ? Should I update it manually ?

Regards, Ryan

Created on Jul 9, 2014 10:24:08 AM

Votes:

Dear Ryan

Normally the remote probe updates itself. This process usually takes only a few minutes. If the remote probe should fail to auto-update, you can update it manually.

Created on Jul 9, 2014 1:48:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne ,

Thanks for your confirmation , I will try the auto-update .

Regards, Ryan

Created on Jul 9, 2014 4:06:58 PM

Votes:

Dear Arne,

Thank you so much for your assistance , I had upgraded to new version PRTG 14 successfully . I encounter the other issue now . Will create the other to get te help here .

Regards,

Ryan

Created on Aug 18, 2014 7:14:05 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.