What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Limits of sensors

Votes:

Hello,

I have some sensors like:

system health fan system health power supply system health temperature

I want to set limits for errors/warnings for these sensors, but there will be only accept numbers as value, but the sensor transmitted values like: normal, warning, not present, shutdown, critcal and not functioning.

What can I do?

Best Regards C.M.

limits sensor value

Created on Jun 10, 2014 7:22:58 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Christian

Only numerical values can be used as trigger for limits. Anything PRTG monitors is a number. The status message can contain strings, but those strings are derived from numbers.

If you use a sensor which only returns strings which directly go to the status message, no actual data is logged. In that case, you could write a custom script which uses the API to get the sensor info, process the status message and generates a numeric value which then can be used to trigger a notification.

Created on Jun 10, 2014 1:09:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The status message can contain strings, but those strings are derived from numbers.

How can I get the numbers, which are behind these strings (warning, normal, ...)?

Created on Jun 10, 2014 1:31:54 PM

Votes:

Dear Christian

That depends on the sensor. Which sensor are you using? On which device it is attached?

Created on Jun 10, 2014 2:39:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 10, 2014 2:39:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Cisco Catalyst 3750: system health power supply, fan Cisco Catalyst 2960: system health power supply Cisco 3800: system health power supply, fan Cisco 3900: system health power supply, fan

Created on Jun 11, 2014 6:07:09 AM

Votes:

Dear Christian

If you open the channel configuration, you have the option to pick a lookup file. If you set it to "none", you see actual numerical values instead of the strings from the lookup table. These values are evaluated for limits. This works even when a lookup table is active.

Created on Jun 11, 2014 11:26:09 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the tip, Arne!

Created on Jan 19, 2015 12:45:08 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.