What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring based on Organizational Unit

Votes:

I have parent OU's that contain hosts and sub-ou's of that parent with different hosts. I've setup PRTG with Group Names being the parent OU and sub-groups being the sub-ou.

When I configure the settings of the sub-group I use the format of Z,OU=Y (Z being the sub-ou and Y being the parent). When I setup the parent group I set the OU = to just Y.

The issue I just discovered is the Parent Group is picking up the hosts in the sub-groups along with the hosts in the parent OU. Is there a way to make it only discover the hosts in that top level OU only?

auto-discovery organization unit

Created on Jun 10, 2014 7:41:20 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it's not possible to have only computers (no sub-OUs) discovered in this scenario for the "parent" group in PRTG.
Our suggestion would be just running the Auto-Discovery on the Y-OU and then manually moving the computers from sub-OUs into sub-groups in PRTG with Drag & Drop on the Management - Tab.

best regards.

Created on Jun 13, 2014 12:43:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, however that's not a very good solution. The point of PRTG is that it can auto discover and mine is configured to scan certain OU's daily for new server builds. We'd need a part time employee just to babysit PRTG going that route.

Created on Jun 13, 2014 12:54:26 PM

Votes:

Sorry, but it's simply not possible for PRTG to differ if computer is member of the Y-OU or a sub-OU of this, when it gets all the computers in the Y-OU here. It just gets a list of computers from Windows, as essentially they all are members of the parent OU.

Created on Jun 13, 2014 1:28:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.