What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does PRTG NetMon offer data smoothing?

Votes:

PRTG Network Monitor is an awesome product. Whenever I need a feature there it is, except perhaps this one, which has me stumped.

I have an asynchronous process that uses a queue to separate the raising of requests from the processing of them. I want to be able to monitor if the process removing items from the queue has stalled for any reason and to achieve this I monitor the number of items in the queue, exposed via WMI.

The number of items in the queue is very variable and can increase very slowly or jump dramatically; at the moment a large jump triggers an alarm because I has set a threshold on the number of items. If I raise the threshold then it could be a long time before the threshold is exceeded when the system isn't very busy and the number of items queued is quite small.

What I'd like to do is perform some sort of smoothing so that the alarm is raised only if the number of items is higher than the threshold for three or more checks, or if it continues to rise (mathematically, when the rate of change continues to be positive.)

I can't seem to find any functionality that will help. I don't think spike filtering helps because these are valid values, they are just transient.

Note that I want the sensor to record the real number of items without any alteration because that is useful history, I just don't want it to trigger an on-screen alarm immediately when the number is temporarily high.

Is there any way to achieve this?

alarm feature-request prtg spikes variable wishlist wmi

Created on Jun 11, 2014 8:52:14 AM

Last change on Jun 13, 2014 1:27:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

At the moment, there isn't a way to achieve this but I have change the tags on this post so that if others come looking for this functionality they can post here that they would like this as well and it's something that we may consider. I would suggest putting in a few keywords in a post below so that more people might find this post through Google or some such.

Created on Jun 13, 2014 1:26:43 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.