This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later
Silent Installation of Remote Probes
PRTG Network Monitor provides the possibility for a semi-automatic installation of remote probes directly from PRTG’s web interface. For details, please see PRTG Manual: Remote Probe Quick Install. This is basically a silent installation.
However, if this mechanism does not work for your network configuration (please also note that it is an experimental feature!), for example, if you want to deploy and configure the remote probe on a server in an isolated network, you can try the following workaround. This is a semi-automatic approach and basically works like manually cloning an existing remote probe.
Steps to Go
Semi-Automatic Deployment and Configuration of Remote Probes
Caution: Please back up your system before manipulating the Windows registry!
Important note: This approach is not officially supported! It will not work in every case.
- On a machine which is already running a PRTG Remote Probe, navigate to the program folder of this probe.
- Copy the whole program folder (e.g., %programfiles%\PRTG Network Monitor) to the target machine. Note: Do not yet run PRTG Probe.exe!
- Open the registry editor on the machine with the original probe and navigate to the following key:
- On a 64-bit Windows system, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Probe
- On a 32-bit Windows version, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Probe
- Copy the following values and insert them via the registry editor on the target machine:
- These registry values will tell the new remote probe then to connect to your PRTG Core Server. Do not copy any other values than the mentioned ones because this might cause the probe to register as an existing probe with your core server.
- Register resp. install the Probe Service. You can use certain tools for this or execute the following command on the target machine (adjust the path to where you have copied the probe program folder to!):
c:\<PRTG Remote Probe Program Dir>\"PRTG Probe.exe" –Install
- Finally, run PRTG Probe.exe
Approve the new probe connection in PRTG and you can monitor the desired server via the new remote probe as usual.
Note: You may have to set the Probe Access Key for the remote probe manually.