What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I get unknown status even though I see values for all channels

Votes:

I've got a custom XML sensor which uses SNMP to get CPU, memory and HDD usage values for a target machine. On multiple occasions I've found that one or two (out of 500) of these sensors' status changes from green to the grey coloured "UNKNOWN" status value all of a sudden and remains like that. In spite of this I can see that the values for all the channels and the 'Live Data', '2 days', '30 days' etc. tabs display data for each of the channels. I even checked that the sensor's primary channel is set to an active channel.

advanced custom-sensor status-unknow

Created on Jun 16, 2014 10:22:24 AM

13 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

just to check, you have about 500 custom EXE XML Sensors? All under one Probe? On which scanning interval are they running? This may be an load issue, where they block each other a bit, and a longer scanning interval may help.

best regards.

Created on Jun 18, 2014 9:00:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

I don't think it's a load issue since I've got logging for the sensors and the logging shows the sensor executes fine and usually in a few milliseconds. I've tried longer scanning interval to no avail. Like I said, I can see that the values for all the channels and the 'Live Data', '2 days', '30 days' etc. tabs display data for each of the channels. So the sensor is executing and the data is getting generated, saved and displayed. The only thing is that the metrics and the 'Status' of the sensor remain in 'unknown' state.

Created on Jun 23, 2014 3:02:59 AM

Votes:

I've uploaded a few screenshots to show you what I mean. In all three screenshots (the first two from the same sensor and one from another sensor), you can see that: - Data is being captured - The buttons on the top right corner indicate that it is not in paused state (since they contain the buttons for check now and pause). - The graphs and live data view also display data. - in one sensor it shows that it is in paused state (with 'unknown' status colour!) and the other sensor shows it is in unknown state, where as you can see, data is coming through.

The images are not rendering properly...I've pasted direct links as well http://imgur.com/XLShvZ9

http://imgur.com/wAHk7mr

http://imgur.com/oDbBQTR

Sensor in unknown/paused state showing data http://imgur.com/XLShvZ9

Same sensors live data tab http://imgur.com/wAHk7mr

Another sensor with this problem showing channel data http://imgur.com/oDbBQTR

Created on Jun 23, 2014 3:33:19 AM

Votes:

Actually, it's not just 'unknown' status, I'm looking at one case where a sensor (of the same type) was paused and upon resuming, it captures data and the graphs work but the metrics and status of the sensor show it as 'paused' even though it's buttons and context menu allow you to check now and pause the sensor. I tried pausing again and then resuming, but it simply goes back to the previous state where it shows the sensor as paused but gets and displays data.

Created on Jun 23, 2014 7:08:52 AM

Votes:

Maybe it is an issue with the graph & status cache. Please try the following:

• Stop both PRTG services (core and probe).
  • Head to your data folder (can be discerned from the Server Administrator tool, under the "Core Server" tab)
  • Delete the "PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat" file
  • Restart the PRTG services

Do the sensors now show correct states?

Created on Jun 23, 2014 8:02:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 5, 2014 8:26:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Torsten. I will be sure to try this, but the graph gets updated with the latest data every time it runs or i hit 'Check Now'. Is there some way I can refresh ONLY the status cache? Also, is there a way I can do this without stopping the PRTG services since we've got almost 2500 sensors configured and stopping PRTG will not be a trivial matter.

Created on Jun 23, 2014 8:08:46 AM

Votes:

It's one combined file for states & graphs, and it can't be done without stopping the PRTG Services.

Created on Jun 23, 2014 8:13:08 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, i tried deleting the cache file like you suggested. But it doesn't seem to have an effect. If anything, after the restart other (non custom) sensors seem to be having this problem too, mostly SSH disk free sensors and Netflow sensors.

Created on Jun 26, 2014 9:52:26 AM

Votes:

The next time there are grey sensors, or if there are still grey sensors, please go to the "Setup"->"System Administration"->"Administrative Tools"-Page in PRTG and click the button "Write Probe state file". The state file(s) should be written into the "Logs (System)"-folder, please send us the content of this folder. Please also forward us a screenshot of the overview page of one grey sensor, a screenshot of the Live graph and live data table of this sensor and a screenshot of the "Setup"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG. Then use the option to upload the state files and the PRTG System logs to our FTP-Server, using the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the tab "Logs" in the "PRTG Probe Admin Tool". You can do this from the Probe that runs these sensors (Important if you are using Remote Probes!)

In case it is necessary to send the files by mail, you will find the state and log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)
Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V7' or a 'V8'-folder in which then the "Logs (System)"-folder resides. Please send the entire "Logs (System)"-Folder as a zip file then.

Created on Jun 26, 2014 7:04:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm facing the problem again. Is there an email address I can send you the information on? I've collated all the information you've asked for. I went to the ("Contact Paessler Support / Send Your Feedback to Paessler" under setup - Contact support), but it lets me attach just one screenshot at a time and it fails to attach the screenshot half the time showing me a question mark instead!

Created on Jul 9, 2014 6:04:02 AM

Votes:

Just send the screenshots and logs in an email to [email protected] with a reference to this KB-Thread.

Created on Jul 9, 2014 7:31:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm also having the same issue. Was a solution found?

Created on Aug 5, 2014 12:25:20 AM

Votes:

Usually, there is no general solution to sensors in unknown state, therefore, the next time there are grey sensors, or if there are still grey sensors, please go to the "Setup"->"System Administration"->"Administrative Tools"-Page in PRTG and click the button "Write Probe state file". The state file(s) should be written into the "Logs (System)"-folder, please send us the content of this folder. Please also forward us a screenshot of the overview page of one grey sensor, a screenshot of the Live graph and live data table of this sensor and a screenshot of the "Setup"->"System Status"-Page in PRTG. Then use the option to upload the state files and the PRTG System logs to our FTP-Server, using the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the tab "Logs" in the "PRTG Probe Admin Tool". You can do this from the Probe that runs these sensors (Important if you are using Remote Probes!)

In case it is necessary to send the files by mail, you will find the state and log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)
Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V7' or a 'V8'-folder in which then the "Logs (System)"-folder resides. Please send the entire "Logs (System)"-Folder as a zip file then.

Created on Aug 5, 2014 8:34:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.