What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Veeam monitoring

Votes:

I'm trying to set up PRTG to monitor my backup jobs as described in this article -

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/47023-how-can-i-monitor-my-backup-software-to-be-sure-backup-succeeded-last-night

Success and Error emails from Veeam work correctly and set the sensor to an 'Up' or 'Down' state as required.

However, I'm having trouble getting the sensor go into a Warning state when the mailbox gets an email with [Warning] in the subject. Instead of a warning state, the sensor will always marked 'Down'.

I think I've got everything set up as described in the knowledge base article so I'm not sure why its not working.

Here's a screenshot of my configuration.

screenshot

Any ideas on how to get this working?

backup imap veeam

Created on Jun 18, 2014 2:13:57 PM

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

I did the following to Monitor Veeam in our Environment:

Just Setup an SQL Sensor to the Veeam Database with the following Query:

SELECT latest_result FROM BJobs WHERE name = 'Jobname'

Warning Condition equals 1
Down Condition equals 2

This worked fine for us

Best Regards

Created on Jun 20, 2014 5:42:46 AM

Last change on Oct 10, 2014 7:23:50 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, this query does work to a certain extent but how do you qualify if the last result is recent or not.

I mean if there is a job hung for 10 days on a server this sensor will still be green because it dose not check how old the last result is.

I could be days old. is there a way of only getting result for the last 24 hours?

Created on Feb 11, 2015 3:51:59 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I have Created a PowerShell Script for the API:

http://mycloudrevolution.com/2016/02/29/prtg-veeam-br-monitoring/

Maybe This helps

Created on Feb 29, 2016 5:02:06 PM

Last change on May 23, 2016 8:16:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Markus,

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 1, 2016 5:40:44 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I use a different approach to monitor Veeam backup and replications.

Firstly, Nightly backups are old school. Many of my server run every 4 or 6 hours.

If a backup/replication fails ONCE, I do not really care. If it fails many times then I do care.

My approach is to report "hours since last success", per job. Then you can setup alerts based on that.

https://thedomainiown.wordpress.com/prtg-related/prtg-script-get-last-good-veeam-backup/ contains the script, and many more details about its usage, along with some todo items planned for the future.

Created on Mar 9, 2016 11:53:06 PM

Votes:

Thank you for sharing, Andrew!

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 10, 2016 9:25:07 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Chencdrickson

Please check the Sensor option (on the very bottom) "Scanning interval". Could that be why your sensor goes to error instead of warning?

Scanningintervall

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 10, 2016 10:25:58 AM

Votes:

I have also created another version without Enterprise Manger:

Veeam PRTG Sensor Reloaded | my cloud-(r)evolution http://mycloudrevolution.com/2016/03/21/veeam-prtg-sensor-reloaded/

Created on Mar 21, 2016 10:56:16 PM

Last change on May 23, 2016 8:17:11 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Chendrickson

Please also check the option "No matching mail behavior". Seems that if your PRTG does not receive mails anymore, Your sensor will be green forever (depending what you entered way above in the config we don't see on the screenshot)

Also as mentioned above, option "When a sensor reports an Error" (Scanning interval). change to something that suits you.

regards Thomas

Created on May 23, 2016 1:44:27 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.