What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Down Partial Notification

Votes:

I am running a two node cluster and we are getting notifications for Down ended (now: Down Partial) status. Can we only trigger when status is Up (Up on both cluster members) only?

cluster notifications status

Created on Jun 23, 2014 3:32:23 PM

15 Replies

Votes:

Unfortunately this isn't possible at this time. When the sensor changes status from down to something else, the condition is considered by PRTG to be cleared.

Created on Jun 24, 2014 12:13:23 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Also want to see such a feature.

Not for everyone it is clear what a (now: down partial) notification means...

Created on Feb 3, 2015 1:08:10 PM

Votes:

I've noted your vote for this to be a feature.

Created on Feb 3, 2015 2:04:54 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This feature would be desirable!

I also have the two node cluster setup, and some application owners are getting confused when they receive their clear alerts, with one PRTG server still reporting their apps down.

Please consider adding this functionality in the future releases.

Thanks

Created on Feb 4, 2015 5:59:35 PM

Votes:

I've also noted your vote for this feature request. Thanks for posting!

Created on Feb 6, 2015 7:29:15 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can this also be approached from a different angle?

When setting up notifications (i.e. a state trigger) - there are options for sensor state (Down, Warning, Unusual, Partial Down).

Can the clear condition be somehow linked to a state (UP) - rather than partial down?

Just a thought!

Thanks

Created on Feb 6, 2015 4:52:59 PM

Votes:

Dear A. Kupi

We have put this idea on our "wish list". We have not yet decided if we change our "clear" mechanism or not.

In general, we try to keep the number of options to the minimum. But considering the demand, we will discuss it.

Created on Feb 10, 2015 3:18:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like to tag onto this discussion as well, the partial up is confusing and would be nice as mentioned above to have the system only page when the sensor is up and not partial down.

Created on Apr 7, 2015 3:30:05 PM

Votes:

+1 as well.

We're now giving third parties notifications for our systems and don't want to confuse them with down ended and down partials, just an explicit 100% up or down.

Created on Jun 29, 2015 3:39:51 AM

Votes:

+1

Yes same here. I would rather only see up/down status'. Unknowns, etc are confusing. More granular options for notifications would be great.

Created on Nov 12, 2015 7:16:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Has there been an update on this? Specically we would like a an alarm when a start is partial down and an alarm when all our cluster nodes are up.

Created on Nov 25, 2015 10:56:19 AM

Votes:

We see the utility of such trigger, but there is no elegant solution if we want to keep the complexity of the notification settings at a manageable level.

The cluster feature introduces a lot of ambiguity when the status of several nodes is combined. For the time being, we want to continue with the current "partial" system even though it does not cover any possible case to set a trigger. When we rework the notification and/or the cluster system, we evaluate all feature requests about this matter and decide if (and how) we can find a better way to alert by state triggers.

Created on Nov 25, 2015 3:05:00 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just wanted to post and say we are looking for this feature as well. Very annoying.

Created on Dec 2, 2015 8:07:07 PM

Votes:

Just to bump this thread ... I guess since the last post here was about 5 years ago nothing has changed. We recently implemented a cluster also and the 'partial up' messages really aren't that helpful.

We often find we get a notification when the primary server sees a sensor as back up. The failover node is on a different site (in a different country actually) and it's a little behind the primary so we get the partial message which looks very red and at a glance looks like a down message.

Could you not have the partial up / down look green instead? That would be more accurate given the reason it's been triggered in the first place is due to the sensor changing state from down to up.

Created on Feb 18, 2020 9:24:34 AM

Votes:

Any update on this? Still an issue. 9 years later.

Created on Jul 31, 2023 4:03:10 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.