What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

NICs not as intended after autodiscovery

Votes:

When I use an device template for autodiscover against a new (virtual VMware) server with exactly the same set-up as the template alle sensors configure fine except for the NIC's. I want to have both NIC's (backend called BCK and FrontEnd called FRT) as configured in the template. But instead PRTG finds 8 devices from which I don't want to see 6 entries and 2 which I have to correct by hand (BCK en FRT, which are both detected) ?

What is causing PRTG to act this way ?

autodiscovery nic template

Created on Jun 25, 2014 2:41:17 PM

Last change on May 23, 2019 5:05:02 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Are you using a SNMP Traffic Sensor for your template?
In that case PRTG will scan the devices and if it discovers multiple ports on a device, PRTG cannot decide which one you want to monitor, so it will automatically set up sensors for all ports, that have had traffic flow through them, and do not yet have a sensor (added by an Auto-Discovery). I'm very much afraid this cannot be changed.
The main reason for this lies in the very dynamic "nature" of the index-numbers of ports. Very often these are very different from switch to switch (etc.), and so if a template would contain a SNMP Traffic Sensor with a "fixed index-number" for a certain port, it's very likely that the created sensor on the new device does not work, because the index-number is different (even though it may be phyiscal Port 1 on both devices).

best regards.

Created on Jun 27, 2014 12:18:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.