What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

About XML probe

Votes:

Hi, I need read some numbers from any device. My probe in the PRG is red and write. I Am not sure with XML node... Here is some info from xml file:

<input><sensor><type>wind_direction</type><id>1010</id><name>Wind direction</name><place/><value>225.0</value></sensor><sensor><type>humidity</type><id>1011</id><name>Humidity</name><place/><value>36.8</value></sensor><sensor><type>pressure</type><id>1012</id><name>Pressure</name><place/><value>1007.6</value></sensor><sensor><type>exposure</type><id>1013</id><name>Light</name><place/><value>649.1</value></sensor><sensor><type>wind_speed</type><id>1014</id><name>Wind speed</name>

Pls what is XML node, what must be write to "XML node " in the probe...

Before TNX ! Joe

probe prtg xml

Created on Jun 29, 2014 10:03:31 AM

Last change on Jun 30, 2014 9:20:47 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
what precise value do you want to read from the XML? Is it the number in the <value> tag? Best regards

Created on Jun 30, 2014 2:35:36 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, here http://109.238.40.43:8000/xml.xml is XML file.... And I need read from this file any numbers.... Example: from this i need read 1010, 270,1011 and etc...

<type>wind_direction</type><id>1010</id><name>Wind direction</name><place/><value>270.0</value></sensor><sensor><type>humidity</type><id>1011</id><name>Humidity</name><place/><value>72.4</value></sensor><sensor><type>pressure</type><id>1012</id><name>Pressure</name><place/><value>1010.8</value>

pls can you help me ? I need know exact text to XML node line... Before TNX, JOE

Created on Jun 30, 2014 3:24:18 PM

Votes:

Using the XML REST sensor it would only be possible to read one value at the time. This means for every value you want to read you would have to add a separate sensor.
In your case I would recommend using a script to read the XML and pass it back to PRTG.
An example on how to read XML from a webpage can be found in this thread on Stackoverflow.
The output would have to be adjusted to match the one of the EXE/Script Advanced Sensor.

Created on Jul 1, 2014 6:47:00 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.