What steps are necessary to receive push notifications from my PRTG core server on my iOS and Android devices?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 15.4.20 or later
Push Notifications from PRTG
With PRTG you can send free push notifications from your PRTG server to your Android, iOS, and Windows Phone devices.
Note: PRTG versions previous to 15.4.20 do not support cloud features anymore because we changed the cloud infrastructure with this version. If you run a previous PRTG version, please update your PRTG server to use push notifications and other PRTG cloud features.
For the setup that is described in this article you need:
- PRTG core server 15.4.20 or later
- PRTG for Android 14.3.2 or later
- PRTG for iOS 14.3.6 or later
- PRTG for Windows Phone 15.1.1 or later on Windows Phone 8.1
General Push Concept
In the PRTG web interface, when you add a new notification under Setup | Account Settings | Notifications, there is a notification method called SEND PUSH NOTIFICATION. You can select a single user or an entire user group to which the push notification will be sent when it is triggered.
Every user account has a number of notification contacts (see Setup | Account Settings | Notification Contacts). This list may contain contacts of different types, for example, Email, or Push. A push contact consists of a description name and a unique token (listed in the Recipient column) that identifies the target device.
When a push notification is triggered for a certain user account, PRTG sends it to all active contacts of the Type Push that are listed for the user. This means, when a push notification is triggered for your user account, you will see the notification on every single mobile device that you have registered (and not set to Pause).
To register a mobile device to receive push notifications and to show up in your Notification Contacts list, you have to connect to your PRTG core server using one of our mobile apps for iOS or Android. See this article if you have issues registering your iOS devices as notification contacts in PRTG.
First Time Setup
- Install the app PRTG for Android or PRTG for iOS or PRTG for Windows Phone on your mobile device.
- In the app, set up a connection to a PRTG core server version 15.4.20 or later using the DNS name or IP and login credentials.
- In the app settings, activate push notifications.
PRTG for iOS: If you use the iOS app, you do not have to activate push manually. Your iOS device will ask you to allow push notifications for this app when you connect to the PRTG server the first time. Confirm that you want to receive push notifications from PRTG.
If you have denied push notifications before, please see this article for how to undo this decision.
- The app will automatically send a unique token to the PRTG core server, and in the PRTG web interface a new entry for your device will appear in the Notification Contacts list of the user account you connected with. Your PRTG user account is now ready to receive push notifications. See this article for details.
- Any push messages that are triggered by PRTG will appear immediately in the notification area of your mobile device. Tap the messages to open the PRTG app and show more information.
Note: The PRTG server needs to communicate on port 443 to the PRTG Cloud to send push notifications (https://api.prtgcloud.com:443).
Add Notifications and Triggers to Your PRTG Configuration
Please note that you will only receive push notifications when you set up a notification that uses the SEND PUSH NOTIFICATION method and set notification triggers that use this notification (for example, in the Notifications tab of a sensor).
For details about setting up notifications in PRTG, please see PRTG Manual: Sensor Notifications Settings
Pause and Delete Push Contacts
If you pause a push contact in the Notification Contacts list using the Pause button, PRTG will not send push notifications to this device until you Resume it.
If you Delete a push contact, PRTG will forget the token of your device and will not send push notifications anymore.
Re-Register a Push Contact After You've Deleted It
The device is re-registered with your user account and will reappear in the Notification Contacts list if you follow these steps:
- Make sure push notifications are enabled in the app settings.
- Then, set up a new connection to the PRTG core server version 15.4.20 or later using the DNS name or IP and login credentials.
- Or, if such a connection still exists in the app, do the following:
- PRTG for iOS: Quit the App in the task manager and restart it. Reopen the app and tap on the according connection to connect to the PRTG server.
- PRTG for Android: Simply go to the settings page, and then press the back button. All of your accounts which support Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) will be re-registered.
Some Background Information
Behind the scenes, push notifications require a rather complicated setup, and every push notification must go through several servers to reach your mobile device.
Every mobile device that runs one of our push-enabled apps requests a unique token from the Google or Apple cloud and reports it to the PRTG core server they're connected to. The PRTG server stores the token for the respective user account.
Paessler runs a special cloud service to provide you with push notifications. Every PRTG installation communicates with the Paessler cloud. When a push notification is triggered, the PRTG server sends a request to the Paessler cloud to push a notification to the device with the respective token. The cloud simply forwards this request to the Google (Android), Apple (iOS), or Microsoft (Windows Phone) cloud. From there, the push notification is sent to your target device and the push notification is shown. See the article How does the PRTG cloud deliver push notifications? for details.
According to our tests, this notification mechanism can be even faster than receiving SMS text messages, plus it is more convenient to use. Even a GPRS data connection is sufficient to receive push notifications.
For more information, please see also Is there an FAQ for push notifications?
any ETA on this functionality making it into the Stable channel? Looks like it's been in the Preview channel for quite some time and before I spend a bunch of time trying to get a different method for push notifications (on Android) working, I'd like to know if this is close.
This feature is currently in a pre-release version of the Preview channel, so it should be available in the Stable channel within few weeks. Please bear with us.
I tried with ios and android but still "connection timed out error".Any help appreciated..
Does your PRTG Version meet the above requirements (version)? Is a Proxy Server used in your network?
My Current version PRTG Version is PRTG Network Monitor 188.8.131.5200 x64 .And there's not proxy for connection Internet.
Can you please get in contact with us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot showing the Log-Entry to the Push-Notification and your license key. Thank you!
Shame that Windows is coming later again. But I'm very happy with Pushalot, so don't really need it.