What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG and Juniper

Votes:

I used MIBImporter to create sensors to monitor my VPN connections on Juniper SSG 140. It shows whether connection is UP or DOWN, but it's always in green. How to do I make that when its up its green and when its down its red?

Thank you

juniper mib prtg snmp vpn

Created on Jul 8, 2014 5:56:28 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can define the Lookup on the sensor to change its state if the VPN is down.

Created on Jul 14, 2014 8:12:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

Please, help. If we can figure this out, we will purchase a full version of PRTG. Without it, we will need to look for other solutions. VPN monitoring is one of the top priorities for us. PRTG works great for policy based VPNs on Cisco ASAs, but for route-based VPNs on Juniper, it is not quiet the same. I wish there would be a dedicated sensors for SSGs, just like ASAs. Those work great. Sensors based on MIBs need to be better configurable.

Created on Jul 10, 2014 4:25:50 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm very much afraid we do not have Juniper VPN Sensors planned for PRTG in the near future. Can you please upload some screenshot showing the SNMP Library Sensors monitoring the VPNs on your Juniper device? Do they show traffic on the VPN, or just the VPN State?

best regards

Created on Jul 11, 2014 8:30:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

Im just using the sensor that shows status. I do not care about how much traffic goes through it. http://s30.postimg.org/orh2eib0h/ssg.png

Created on Jul 11, 2014 2:12:32 PM

Last change on Jul 14, 2014 5:25:18 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can define the Lookup on the sensor to change its state if the VPN is down.

Created on Jul 14, 2014 8:12:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, Torsten. That's exactly what I needed.

And congratulations to you and the whole Germany on winning World Cup.

Created on Jul 14, 2014 1:30:47 PM

Votes:

Ok, another question for same topic. We are in last stages of testing PRTG on our network, if this works correctly, we will be making purchase.

I'm using MIB for testing STP Status. One device should be forwarding, all others should be blocking. How to setup so that "forwarding" be green for that one device and when it changes state to any other to be red (Error) and for other devices reverse: If it is "blocking" to be green and if it changes to "forwarding" to show error. I'm using: oid.bridge-mib.dot1dstpport.dot1dstpportstate.ovl from BRIDGE-MIB.

Thanks.

I really hope there is solution to this!

Created on Aug 11, 2014 8:32:13 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, such an inverted logic is not directly possible in the SNMP Sensors themselves. Technically you could use additional Senosor Factor Sensors to provide this functionality, but it will mean additional sensors.

Created on Aug 12, 2014 7:30:20 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Im trying to use sensor factor sensor for my setup. Im using channel definition:

#1: Status must be forwarding
Channel(6297,0) = 5

If it is correct, it shows 10,000. if it is not correct it shows 0. But it is still always green. I need it to be red if it is 0 and green if 10,000

Created on Aug 12, 2014 2:27:50 PM

Last change on Aug 12, 2014 2:39:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

To change the state of the sensor, you could use Error/Warning-Limits on the Channel-Settings. Or use the "Status Definition"-Field of the Factory Sensor.

Created on Aug 12, 2014 2:40:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, I edited lookups that both "forwarding" and "blocking" are OK states. I do not like red sensors unless there is an issue. So, my devices switch around forwarding and blocking, it won't change status to down. How do I setup in Error/Warning-Limits on the Channel-Settings or the "Status Definition" to have "down" red sensor when it is not what it is supposed to be?

Created on Aug 12, 2014 3:30:52 PM

Votes:

Please, help figure it out...

Created on Aug 18, 2014 1:41:38 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid it does not make sense to use Lookups & Limits at the same time. Both intend the same here, to alarm if a certain value is matched or exceeded (the Lookup additionally displays a String in the sensor message).
Both are for static "resolution", it seems you need a dynamic / logical relation if A then not B. This can only be achieved with the Sensor Factory.

Created on Aug 19, 2014 8:10:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.