What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU Load Percentages > 100 & < 0

Votes:

I have a problem where the percentages for the CPU Load gathered from a certain probe are showing strange ranges. For example, in this screenshot you can see that the range is from <1% to 2,048,656%... The probes been updated to the latest version etc.

Screenshot: http://s4.postimg.org/6a1irdyh9/PRTG.png

cpu-load prtg wmi

Created on Jul 9, 2014 2:52:10 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Luke

Spikes can have several causes, most of them are incorrect values returned by the device.

It is possible to filter spikes out and get the graphs back to a reasonable scaling. To do this, please go to the sensor and left-click one of the channels to open its configuration. Please enable the spike filter and enter minimum and/or maximum values.

Not all channels have spike filters. If you have a traffic sensor, the "traffic in" and "traffic out" channels do have a spike filter, but the "traffic total" has not. In this case, "traffic in" and "traffic out" must be configured.

The CPU sensor however also has a spike filter for the "total" channel.

Created on Jul 10, 2014 12:54:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry to drag this up - however I've noticed this occurring quite frequently of late, and performing this spike filtering individually is going to be incredibly time consuming (especially for multi-cored systems).

Is there any way of implementing a global spike filter for sensors that obviously should be impossible to go above 100%? If not - can you add it onto the dev list please!

Created on Jan 29, 2016 10:11:04 AM

Votes:

Dear Chris

I understand that the inconsistent CPU load results are annoying. However, we don't plan to implement a global spike filter setting. Please allow me to explain the reasoning.

Getting too low and/or too high CPU load values is overall a rare issue. Currently we focus on other features, which would benefit a large user base.

If you often get wrong results, the best option is to look for other means to monitor the CPU load. Please try the SNMP CPU load sensor. It perhaps provides more reasonable results. This requires to enable SNMP in Windows by configuring the SNMP service accordingly and allow access from the probe.

Created on Jan 29, 2016 2:13:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like to add that I am in the same situation. I'm am monitoring 70+ servers and the majority show percentages greater than 100%. It is definitely not a rare issue for me. Having to configure spike values on all my servers is an absolute pain and should be able to be set globally or from a parent group.

The alternate to configuring SNMP on Windows is an even greater pain.

If it is a known issue with WMI than that should be addressed separately or noted in the sensor.

Created on Jul 7, 2016 3:59:09 AM

Votes:

Dear jcrookslakemac

A logic built into the sensor trying to correct obviously wrong data could lead to other issues. If a device returns false data, but PRTG tries to repair it, a deeper issue with the device would be covered up. While some sensors do include some data correction, we generally follow the philosophy to show what the device returns.

The spike filter can be applied in bulk via multi edit.

Created on Jul 7, 2016 8:38:06 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.