What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PrtgShell module not loaded: ensure the module is visible for 32-bit PowerShell

Votes:

I have got the "PrtgShell module not loaded: ensure the module is visible for 32-bit PowerShell" after moving custom sensors (PS) to new probe.

The new probe is the same Windows 7 64bit. I have already installed .Net 4, I have disabled UAC, I have set 32bit Powershell execution policy to Unrestricted, but the problem is still there.

I would appreciate any advice.

custom-sensor powershell prig

Created on Jul 15, 2014 5:55:34 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

would it be possible to share the script here? Without more details it's hard to pinpoint the reason.

best regards.

Created on Jul 17, 2014 8:43:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I may guess you are using powershell based sensors which require a custom tool written by Brian Addicks with the name PrtgShell.

Get if from: https://github.com/brianaddicks/prtgshell check out the code, place them in your powershell modules folder, import them and your sensor probably works.

Created on Oct 10, 2014 12:06:46 PM

Votes:

My guess would be that you stuck this into the default PowerShell Module path ( c:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules ). This would make you subject to something I've didn't know exist and could lead to some confusing stuff called File System Redirector: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

This is built in to windows to make 32bit/64bit applications work nicely on the same filesystem. But if you run gci on that folder from x86 powershell and 64bit powershell I bet you get totally different results. In my case, it was a difference of 25 folders not showing up at all in the x86. You have 2 options:

1. Copy your prtgshell folder to c:\windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules
  2. Create a separate folder to store modules in and add it to your x86 (and 64bit for good measure) $env:PsModulePath.

I do the latter, so it's easy for me to find my modules and manage them. Hopefully that helps!

Created on Dec 30, 2014 3:37:22 AM

Last change on Dec 30, 2014 7:53:10 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.