What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI IIS Application Sensor

Votes:

I'm looking for a definition of what Anonymous Users is tracking. Is it connections/sessions from unique IP's? or is it just a total of the Gets and Posts? I haven't been able to find it clearly defined anywhere. Thanks

iis prtg wmi

Created on Jul 18, 2014 4:28:56 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

PRTG uses either the following Performance Counter "Web Service Counters for the WWW Service (IIS 6.0)" for the sensor. For this Microsoft states for the Anonymous Users/sec Counter:

The rate, in seconds, at which users have made anonymous requests to the WWW service.

Or PRTG uses WMI counters from the Win32_PerfFormattedData_W3SVC_WebService WMI Class. Here the definition for the Anonymous Users per second counter is:

Rate at which users are making anonymous connections using the web service.

best regards.

Created on Jul 22, 2014 10:44:22 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry for my late reply, I was away. Thanks for posting that. So what is the relationship between connections and users based in this counter? Is it showing me the number of connected users/sec or could all the connections be from a single user? Thanks

Created on Jul 28, 2014 4:56:44 PM

Votes:

Jason, this is essentially a question regarding the definition of the counters, or even which exact metrics the counters show (to the outside of Windows). I'm afraid that can only be answered by Microsoft.

Created on Jul 28, 2014 5:25:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I thought that might be the case. Thanks

Created on Jul 28, 2014 5:27:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.