What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disappearance of the configuration of the hierarchy

Votes:

Hello, We use hierarchies of sensors and equipment. Last week, I determined the sensor availability of Wi-Fi antenna as a parent and I indicated that this equipment depend on another sensor on another device. Today Wi-Fi antenna no longer works. All its sensors are red, while only the availability sensor should be. This is not the first time we encounter this problem, you must re do the configuration each time. It takes a lot of time. Why the hierarchy no longer works. As if the configuration was gone.

dependencies dependency equipement sensors

Created on Jul 22, 2014 8:28:40 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, could you please upload and share some screenshots, that show what exactly you do set in terms of dependencies? And where you set it?

best regards.

Created on Jul 24, 2014 12:41:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately, it's not clear if the sensor is part of the device or not here. Please be aware that you can only set one dependency per device. If a sensor (of the same device) is already "Master Object for parent", you cannot set another dependency on this device.

Created on Jul 24, 2014 1:48:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It seems that my configuration is not saved. What is the procedure to save the configuration of a sensor?

Created on Jul 24, 2014 3:34:08 PM

Votes:

Settings do not disappear in PRTG (then you would not be able to add new sensors, etc.). You can only set one dependency. If you set the sensor to be Master object for Parent, it looses this setting when you change the dependency on the parent device.

Created on Jul 24, 2014 5:22:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Yet it works on a part of our prtg system. This system is necessary for us because we have created links between PRTG and our management software GLPI.

Vue d'ensemble

Map

Created on Jul 28, 2014 12:33:59 PM

Votes:

I'm not saying dependencies do not work anymore. But they are not removed as well. Again, it seems you are trying to set 2 dependencies for one and the same device. One from a sensor of the device, and then another on the device-level. This is not possible. You can only set one device per object.

Created on Jul 28, 2014 12:53:13 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.