What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor a device from multipl probes?

Votes:

I want to monitor some device from multiple probes. (The idea is to monitor reachability from multiple remote location that each has a seperate probes).

The question is if there is an ellegant way to acomplish this except manually creating the same device under each probe?

The ideal way for me would be that under device settings there would be a "Probe" field allowing to choose on which probes the sensor will run

device probe prtg

Created on Jul 24, 2014 11:39:41 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

The only way that's possible to monitor with multiple probes is to create the device underneath each probe. To do this quicker, you can clone the devices but they need to be listed under each probe.

Created on Jul 29, 2014 7:42:39 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am still running into this need often. Is there a way to suggest this as a possible future enhancment? I will be happy to explain the need in more details...

Created on Feb 8, 2015 6:38:09 PM

Votes:

Feel free to be more in depth here if you'd like. I've resubmitted this question as a feature request and will do so again when you explain further what you are looking to accomplish or why this should be implemented in PRTG.

Created on Feb 9, 2015 8:13:05 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I will try to describe the scenario: - A global company has multiple branches f.e. New York, San Jose, London, Tokyo, Moscow, etc. - The branches has a full site-to-site VPN connectivity. - Each branch has a remote PRTG probe installed.

Now, the company launches a corporate application in the data center called https://app.company.com It might be desired to monitor availablility of the app from each branch. (As it is possible for a specific branch to have problem to reach it due to vpn / firewall configuration issues, etc).

Currently it would be required to create a device and a sensor under each remote probe. Cloning will help the process, but it's still some work. Also there is no way to get a summary status of that device across all probes at once and it makes the dashboard less organized.

My idea is: device tree will be flat in regards to the monitoring probe and on device settings there will be a "Probe" field that selects which probe monitors this device / sensor, allowing of course multiple probes selection. There could also be way to view what each probe monitors like today and which probes monitor each object.

I understand this might be a significant change but it might be worth to consider I beleive.

Created on Feb 9, 2015 8:34:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.