What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I monitor two different networks on two different adapters on the same machine?

Votes:

Hi. I want to monitor the "guest" wireless network at my client (192.168.1.0 network) while monitoring the LAN at 192.168.90.0 from the same machine. I have the wired adapter for monitoring the LAN and a USB Wi-Fi adapter for the guest wi-fi network. Every time I plug in the USB adapter, the alarms go crazy and I have to disable the adapter in order for them to stop. Is this doable?

Thanks.

multiple-adapters multiple-interfaces multiple-subnets

Created on Jul 27, 2014 12:41:42 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I am able to monitor two separate networks with a single remote probe. The Remote Probe needs two network cards. The 2nd Card should be connected to the other network you wish to monitor (do not enter a gateway on this card). Restart the remote probe and then you should be able to add sensors for both networks on this remote probe.

Created on Jul 30, 2014 2:30:54 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

It's not possible to monitor two separate networks through a single PRTG probe, what you would want to do here is use another machine with a Remote Probe installed that can connect to that network and then use the Probe Administrator to choose the adapter that is connected to the wireless network.

Created on Jul 29, 2014 7:51:36 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I am able to monitor two separate networks with a single remote probe. The Remote Probe needs two network cards. The 2nd Card should be connected to the other network you wish to monitor (do not enter a gateway on this card). Restart the remote probe and then you should be able to add sensors for both networks on this remote probe.

Created on Jul 30, 2014 2:30:54 PM

Votes:

As long as only one NIC on the probe has a gateway set you should be able to monitor multiple networks.

Other alternative is by using a router

Must add that I've never tried using wireless, but my core probe are connected to two different networks that it monitors, but remember - only one could have a gateway set.

---------------------------------------------
Jens Tore Fremmegaard, ServerParkering AS
Paessler Certified Monitoring Professional

Created on Aug 1, 2014 7:20:38 PM

Votes:

Thank you, TDSI.

Of course that makes sense. I let the wifi adapter acquire an address from the access point and that was fine but the probe wasn't happy. Giving it a static IP address and no gateway. Bob's your uncle!

Thanks.

Created on Aug 4, 2014 3:23:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.