What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does a remote sensor count as on sensor or multiple sensors on the core server?

Votes:

Load balancing for large installations can be achieved by offloading sensors to remote probes as far as I can tell.

Now let's say that I have a remote installation that I'd like to monitor and I need 500 sensors at that installation.

I can monitor those sensors directly from the local sensor at the core server, and that counts as using the CPU, RAM and other resources for 500 sensors on that server. If I instead set up a remote sensor at the remote installation and monitor the 500 sensors using that device, which is sending info back to the core, then is the core using only the resources required to monitor one sensor or 500?

If I then duplicate that setup across 500 locations, is the core server using up resources to monitor 500 sensors or 250000? (500 locations monitoring 500 sensors each)

I'm looking into monitoring a very large number of devices at many different locations.

large-installation scalability sensors

Created on Aug 15, 2014 4:32:06 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Calculations are always done by the core server. When you have 500 sensors on a remote probe, the core server has to do calculations for 500 sensors.

I reccomend using multiple core servers, regardless of the sensor type you're using. Of course you could try it with one core server; but it really depends on the sensor types. I don't think that you'll only use ping sensors?

Please be aware that if you have a 500 sensor license, you'll have 500 sensors across your whole PRTG infrastructure. Let's say that you have 300 sensors on your remote probe, you have 200 left to create on another probe or your core server.

Created on Aug 19, 2014 8:48:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So does the use of remote sensors actually offload some of the work from the core server?

Created on Aug 19, 2014 1:14:53 PM

Votes:

No, they don't. You can see remote probes as a tunnel into a different network. The core server simply requests through that tunnel.

Created on Aug 19, 2014 1:49:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.