What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Installation. Hw .

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to know who could talk with me to include the right machine to install PRTG. We estimate about 5000 sensors. Is it better to virtualize a machine? Is it desirable to have specific HW like server and other equipment like collector, or is it possible to use a single machine?

Thanks BR

hardware installation machine

Created on Aug 18, 2014 1:06:06 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

It's very much depends on what kind of sensors you plan to have. 5k WMI sensors can bring down ANY machine. Not PRTG fault tho. 5k SNMP traffic? Another story. I think any modern Xeon will handle it CPU wise, but your RAM requirements entirely depends on your graph settings (configurable), and disk space of course is dictated by how much of a historic data you want. If you have access to some kind of virtualization platform, i suggest finding out the requirements by trial and error. Be advised that real monitoring system deployments can (and probably will) have "hidden" factors like security policy or some device being behind some old router, that can't handle the PPS (real story btw...) etc.

Created on Aug 19, 2014 3:56:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.