What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Change Color of a particular sensor alert

Votes:

We monitor an EXE on multiple hosts, I use a WMI process sensor to monitor if the EXE is running and that sensor collects data like amount/size of processes attached to it etc. There are times when the EXE is not running and when it stops we don't care to be alerted as it will eventually start back up on it's own. In a nutshell we're using PRTG to historically track this item only.

I've configured the sensor to not send notifications, but I'd like to NOT see it's red alarm in the top right hand display of downed items. Is there a way to make a particular style/type of sensor NOT show up there? At the moment if I have 100 servers all with this item down I see 100 red alerts and I don't care to see those.

alerts color wmiprocesssensor

Created on Aug 20, 2014 2:48:38 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear user

If a sensor turns red, it is shown in the sensor overview itself as well as in the sensor status summary in the top-right corner. This cannot be changed.

Created on Aug 20, 2014 3:35:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Could this sensor be changed to alert to a different color, say PURPLE ?

Created on Aug 20, 2014 3:37:28 PM

Votes:

Having false down warnings are dangerous for the alertness of IT.
Thinking "those sensors are always down" and miss an important warning for a possible crisis.

To get rid of false down sensors you could perhaps make an HTTP-action notification to pause your EXE sensor with a command like: http(s)://yourprtg-fqdn/api/pause.htm?id=%sensorid&action=0 When the EXE comes back up your could use another HTTP-action notification to resume your sensor: http(s)://yourprtg-fqdn/api/pause.htm?id=%sensorid&action=1

The drawback with utilizing the pause state is that you stop to record data for that sensor for historic usage.

---------------------------------------------
Jens Tore Fremmegaard, ServerParkering AS
Paessler Certified Monitoring Professional

Created on Aug 20, 2014 7:20:18 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the reply - I built a custom notification that acknowledges the down sensor. Doing this changes the alert from Red to Pink which is good enough for what I need:

https://yourprtg-fqdn/api/acknowledgealarm.htm?id=%sensorid&ackmsg=Auto-Acknowledged&username=prtgadmin&passhash=yourprtghash

Created on Aug 25, 2014 6:49:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.