What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I make PRTG7's web interface publicly accessible?

Votes:

Is there a method in PRTG version 7 to make it open to all the users on the Internal network without them needing a login (similar to the open web interface in version 6 which we use extensively). I can't possibly create Map's for all the possible sensors I want to share openly.

authentication login prtg public publish read-only share web-gui web-interface

Created on Feb 9, 2010 9:19:24 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Feb 16, 2010 9:01:21 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In PRTG6 visitors to the web interface had "read-only" access. To achieve the same effect in PRTG 7 I would suggest the following approach:

Create a new read-only user account

• Go to Setup|User Accounts
  • Click on "Add New User" to Create a new user
  • Select a simple username and password
  • Set the "Account Type" to "Read Only User"
  • In the "Primary Group" drop down select "Create new user group for this user"
  • Click Continue

Set the necessary user rights

• Click on "Devices" to go to the "Root" group (or any other group further down in the tree, as needed)
  • Click on "Settings"
  • In the "Access Rights" section find the usergroup which has the name of the new user added above
  • For this group select "Read" from the dropdown
  • Click on Save

Give your users a direct authentication link

Now your users can log into PRTG's web interface using the username/password that you selected above.

Or you give your users a link with authentication built into it:

http://prtg.ip/group.htm?id=0&username=myusername&password=mypassword

This link will immediately log into the web interface with the respective user account.

You can user this type of login with all URLs of the PRTG interface.

Change the Default Admin Password

Make sure that you change the default administrator login from prtgadmin / prtgadmin to a something safe!

See also

How can I safely publish my PRTG data?

Created on Feb 9, 2010 9:31:41 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Feb 16, 2010 9:00:55 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.