What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor specific directories with SNMP Disk Free Sensor?

Votes:

Hello, I need to monitor several directories on Ubuntu servers via the SNMP disk free sensor. The problem is when I go to add this sensor the directories I want to monitor are not showing up as options under "Disk Free Settings". Some directories are present but not the ones I need to monitor. How do I monitor directories that are not showing up? Thanks Jeremy

disk diskfree free linux snmp ubuntu

Created on Sep 2, 2014 1:22:52 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

The SNMP Disk Free sensor will only show you the disks that are mounted to specific points on the Linux installation, it's not going to show directories. If there is a specific directory that you want to monitor, you could build a SSH custom script that will query the size of the folder / directory and return it to PRTG following the API guidelines that can be found under the Setup->PRTG API->Custom Sensors section.

Created on Sep 3, 2014 12:15:10 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply! Some directories do show up as options though. There's nothing on the server that I could change that would permit additional directories? Our current environment does not permit SSH from PRTG directly to the servers so I'd like to monitor via SNMP if possible.

Created on Sep 3, 2014 5:51:51 PM

Votes:

If you want to use SNMP you can try to set up an SNMP Library sensor and use the Paessler Common Library as the OID library and you should be able to see all of the mountpoints available through SNMP.

Created on Sep 4, 2014 8:42:58 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.