What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Link High CPU with top processes

Votes:

I have a map running that shows top 10 CPU, I would like to know if there is a way to associate and show with the processes on the relevant node either by some standard process or grammatically?

Thanks, James.

cpu-load process-monitoring prtg

Created on Sep 2, 2014 3:25:53 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear James

Since there is no standard PRTG component for this, you could use a custom script which gets the process names (for example using Powershell) and creates a sensor message. The map object 'Status Icon' / 'Sensor Message only' allows to display the sensor name and message only.

Created on Sep 4, 2014 12:03:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the reply. So to clarify, If i created a sensor for each Linux device a custom SSH script that ran a command like ps -eo pcpu,pid,user | sort -k 1 -r | head -6 to show me the top 5 processes by CPU can these be displayed in PRTG? and could I then create a custom top list to display the top 10 servers by CPU load?

Thanks, James.

Created on Sep 4, 2014 12:34:21 PM

Votes:

Dear James

Sadly is it not that easy, as a PRTG sensor message cannot have line breaks. Each message is a string up to 2000 characters log, allowing you to show messages but not lists or tables. This means you would need 10 sensors to show 10 messages.

An Exe/Script sensor has the output format

value:message

For example

55:emacs

or

1004:hangman

The message here is "emacs" or "hangman". The value is the value stored in the historic data (sensor messages are not stored in the historic data!)

Created on Sep 4, 2014 2:40:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.