What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Changes in template

Votes:

Hi all,

I want to use the device-template as a real template with the possibility to change sensors in that template. This weekend I figure out that that is not possible in PRTG v14

Is there in the upcomming release a option to change the template by adding new sensors?

Hope there is, otherwise I want to know what the best way is, to use the template and what to do when I want to add a new set of sensors.

I'm using the trial-version but willing to buy but this template-problem is a realy downside, hopefully not a show-stopper

best regards Dave

device-template prtg template

Created on Sep 8, 2014 5:32:37 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid as of right now there's no dedicated template editor. Working on device templates is not officially supported, but you can change them if you like. They are located in the PRTG programs folder in the folder "devicetemplates". Note that you can't modify existing sensors using the template feature, since it checks the sensors guid and backs out if it already exists.

UPDATE
Please see my post below for more accurate information

Created on Sep 10, 2014 9:07:15 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 10, 2014 12:08:00 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just as a clarification:

The template device would work like this:

1. Create the device and add some sensors to it
  2. Create a device template from that device
  3. Add the device template to a host that should use it as described
  4. Create new sensor on the template device
  5. Create a new device template from the template device and overwrite the old one by giving it the same file and template name as the old one

The other devices that use the template will then automatically get the new sensors. Note that you cannot modify existing channels via device templates. This has to be done on a per sensor basis.

I hope that I explained that somewhat comprehensible :)

Created on Sep 10, 2014 12:07:04 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.