What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Since Windows updates of september WMI sensors don't work on VMware guests

Votes:

Since the Windows updates of september, certain hosts on our vmware platform can't be monitored anymore. The error PRTG gives me is: 800706B5: The interface is unknown

I can't find anything about this error in relation to PRTG. Is someone familiar with this?

800706b5 vmware wmi

Created on Sep 12, 2014 8:58:33 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. I have restarted the prtg server, after that the two VM's were able to monitor again.

Created on Sep 15, 2014 8:27:19 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Are the VM's on the host itself not monitorable? Have you tried restarting the VM's and recreating the sensors? It could be that the IDs that PRTG was using to monitor are not the same after the updates and as a result the sensors aren't working.

If this doesn't work, can you please specify which sensors don't work on these machines? Also check that the credentials being used still have admin access on the servers.

Created on Sep 15, 2014 7:14:40 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. I have restarted the prtg server, after that the two VM's were able to monitor again.

Created on Sep 15, 2014 8:27:19 AM

Votes:

In case anyone else has this error in the future, a 2nd solution which worked for me was to change the servers from being monitored by IP address to being monitored by name in PRTG.

Created on Aug 23, 2015 12:35:10 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.