What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

channel info in notification email body

Votes:

Hello

is there a placeholder for the channel name in the email body?

My Problem is the Ping Sensor. When it goes down it, there is a hint if either the Ping is completly down or just slow:

Down: Ping 72 1 35 (Ping) Request timed out (ICMP error # 11010)

Slow: Ping 72 1 35 (Ping) 430 msec (Ping Time) is above the error limit of 250 msec

but when it comes up, the message in both cases shows like this: Ping 72 1 74 (Ping) OK (Downtime: 120 s)

so i can not determine which channel was down.

channel notifications ping-sensor prtg

Created on Sep 12, 2014 3:32:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Chris

Which sensor are you using? The ping sensor has only one channel.

You can use the place holder %lastmessage to include the status message of the sensor.

Created on Sep 12, 2014 4:57:46 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 12, 2014 4:58:57 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i'm using the default ping sensor.

Just tried %lastmessage, it contains "OK" if the sensor comes up. What i'm searching for is something like "OK (Ping Time)" or "OK (Request timed out)".

Created on Sep 12, 2014 6:51:05 PM

Votes:

Dear Chris

If the sensor status is okay, the message is OK, as the error status cleared. We don't offer the option to include the last error in the current sensor status. In case of error, you can trigger a notification which sends the %lastmessage which then contains the error status message.

You can manually look up previous sensor statuses in the "Log" tab of a sensor.

Created on Sep 15, 2014 9:15:00 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 15, 2014 9:15:51 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.